"Ye Cool Springs of St. Maries" Charlotte Hall by grandmaR

Charlotte Hall Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 7 photos

The village of Charlotte Hall dates from the end of the 17th century. Maryland's first hospital was established there. Charlotte Hall was originally called "Ye Cool Springs of St. Maries" which referred to a natural spring thought to have water with theraputic qualities. The village was renamed to honor Queen Charlotte, who married King George III in 1761. The first post office with that name was established in 1797.

Statistics & Facts

The population of Charlotte Hall (Zip Code 20622) was approximately 1,992 in 1990 - approximate number of families: 525.
The amount of land area in Charlotte Hall is 20.858 sq. kilometers.
The amount of surface water is 0.021 sq kilometers.

The distance from Charlotte Hall to Washington DC is 32 miles. The distance to the Maryland state capital is 37 miles. (as the crow flies) Charlotte Hall is almost the first community that people pass through on their way down Maryland Route 5 from Charles County.

Charlotte Hall is positioned 38.47 degrees north of the equator and 76.78 degrees west of the prime meridian

There used to be a Charlotte Hall Military Academy (founded in 1774). Distinguished alumni include three Maryland governors and Roger Brooke Tawney, fifth Chief Justice of the United States. A Veterans Home now occupies the old Academy grounds. Also on the Academy/Veterans Home grounds is Dent Chapel (circa 1883) The chapel was erected in memory of the Rev. Hatch Dent, first principal of Charlotte Hall Military Academy. Built of granite with decorative brick belt, it is considered perhaps the best example of Victorian Gothic architecture in Maryland.

Another historic church in Charlotte Hall is All Faith Episcopal. The Parish was established ca. 1655 and was incorporated in 1692 The present church (pictured) was erected 1767.

A book about Charlotte Hall is:

Charlotte Hall: The Village, 1797-1997
J. Roy Guyther, M.D.

Outlines the history of this unique village, founded on the 17th century site of the "Coole Springs of St. Maries" and later home to Charlotte Hall School (established in 1797), from its early beginnings to modern times. Hardback, 220 pages, photographs, index. $25.00 - Maryland residents add 5% sales tax (plus $2.00 shipping & handling). Order from: J. Roy Guyther, 28175 Old Village Road, Mechanicsville, MD 20659 (phone, 301-884-2392).

  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2004
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse

Reviews (1)

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Online Now

Female

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 0 2 5
Forum Rank:
0 0 0 6 0

Badges & Stats in Charlotte Hall

  • 1 Reviews
  • 6 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 0 Comments
  • 1,240PageViews

Have you been to Charlotte Hall?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Charlotte Hall

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)