"Penninsular - Not an Island" Broomes Island by grandmaR
Broomes Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
Broome's Island is the site of the annual Bernie Fowler wade in. The 18th annual one was held this year.
What started the Wade-in?
"Fowler, who is 6 feet tall, would crab during the 1940s - 1950s in the Patuxent off of Broome's Island and get almost shoulder-deep while still able to clearly see his feet. ..Led by Former State Senator C. "Bernie" Fowler, people line-up along the shoreline and wade into the Patuxent to the point where Fowler says he can no longer see his feet. The depth at which he can no longer see his feet is noted "
There's also a couple of boatyards in Broome's Island. But really it's a small place - the biggest business of note is Stoney's Restaurant.
The local Mallard ducks have apparently interbred with domestic ducks and have charateristics between the two types of duck. I also saw a couple of geese at Stoney's.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Broomes Island Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Broomes Island
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Broomes Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broomes Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues