"Whistling Through Bowie" Top 5 Page for this destination Bowie by grandmaR
Bowie Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 62 photos
My knowledge of Bowie is primarily from driving through it on US 301. The traffic is terrible in Bowie.
I also knew it was the home of the Bowie Race Track and Bowie State University which is one of the University of Maryland schools that has traditionally been a black school.
I find that Bowie was first called Huntington City. The railroad station in town was named in honor of Governor Owen Bowie who was a local resident and was also coincidentally the president of the Baltimore and Potomac railroad. Huntington City was subsequently rechartered as Bowie.
After it was founded in 1870, it was finally incorporated as a town in 1916. It is now the largest municipality in Prince George's County, and the fourth largest city in the State of Maryland.
In 1959, after the firm of Levitt and Sons developed the residential comminity Belair at Bowie on the original colonial plantation of Governor Samuel Ogle the Town of Bowie annexed the properties, and then re-incorporated as a city in 1963.
Once you get to Major Lonsdale Blvd, you have a choice of three restaurants. Tony Roma, Friday's and Smoky Bones. This... more travel advice
We first ate at a Carrabba's in North Myrtle Beach near the Intercoastal, but I hadn't taken any pictures. Since then... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Bowie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whistling Through Bowie"
- "Bowie, Formerly Huntington"
- "Places I've been"
- "Bowie, MD"
- "Eh..Its just Bowie"
- "My America years 1989 - 1991"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bowie
- Hotels in Bowie
- Restaurants in Bowie
- Warnings and Dangers in Bowie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bowie
- 8 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Bowie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bowie
Photos in BowieSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues