Baltimore Restaurant Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination

Baltimore Restaurants: 257 reviews and 287 photos

Hooters from the car May 2005 - Baltimore

Hooters from the car May 2005

Hooters of Baltimore: Harborplace

I haven't eaten at this Hooters.

It is in the Light Street Pavillion which is adjacent to the Pratt Street Pavilion - Light Street forms right angles with Pratt Street, so the two sections form an "L". The center of the second floor of the Light Street Pavillion is an enormous food court where you can find pizza, thai and everything in between. In addition to Hooters (on the second floor) there is also a locally legendary seafood restaurant Phillips, and the Capitol City Brewing Company.

One of the reasons we have not eaten here is that parking for Harborplace is a pain. At a metered spot or one of the parking garages along Pratt and Light streets -- be prepared to pay to park.

Dining Hours:
Fri: 11 am- 1 am
Sat: 11 am- 1am
Sun: 11 am- 11 am

The Hooter's website says:

"Hooters of Harborplace was closed for renovation on February 18th, 2005 to completely remodeled the store and add additional seating to accommodate the hungry Hooters customers in Baltimore's Inner Harbor area. Hooters anticipates that the grand opening of the new and improved restaurant will be Saturday, March 26th, just in time for baseball season. Over $1 million was put into the renovation project. Improvements include new kitchen appliances and additional seating for 70 guests.

In order to add more room to the kitchen, storage and seating area, Hooters of Harborplace took over the neighboring tenant "The Newsstand" in the Harborplace complex. This added an additional 1,393 square footage to the store. The larger and improved design will enable the Harborplace Hooters to build on what is already one of the busiest Hooters of America locations. Hooters of Harborplace is located at 301 Light Street, Suite 173 on the second level of the Harborplace Mall. "

Address: 301 Light Street

Comparison: about average

Directions: Harborplace on the second floor

Phone: 410-244-0367

Theme: American

Picture my sister took of me - Baltimore

Picture my sister took of me

Phillip's Seafood: HARBORPLACE Phillip's Seafood Review

For my mom's 91st birthday my sister and I took her down to the inner harbor for lunch. It was too hot for my mom to eat outside, and the restaurant was crowded and a bit noisy, but we had a nice lunch.

RESTAURANT SEATING : 870
OUTSIDE SEATING : YES ( Seasonal )
OPEN : Year Round
RESTAURANT HOURS OF OPERATION :
Monday-Saturday:
11 am-10 pm April through September
11 am-9 pm October through March
Sunday:
11 am-9 pm (year-round)
MENU OPTIONS : Traditional Phillips Menu * Hard Shell Crabs and Crab Feasts * Phillips' Award-Winning Traditional and Premium Crab Cakes * Carry-Out * All-You-Can-Eat Seafood Buffet * Bomster Scallops-- voted the #1 scallop in the world by Gourmet magazine
PARKING : Garage & Metered Nearby, Discounted Parking at Harbor Court Hotel with Validation
HANDICAP ACCESSIBLE : YES
PAYMENT OPTIONS : VISA, MC, DISC, DINERS, AMEX, TRAVELERS CHECKS
CATERING & GROUP AVAILABILITY : YES, Large & small spaces

Favorite Dish: I'm not sure exactly what we ate - I seem to remember a crab cake sandwich, but can't swear to it.

Currently, the most expensive dinner is a clambake for two at $68.99 which includes 2 whole Maine lobsters, a pound of blue crab clusters, half pound of steamed shrimp, half pound of clams and a pound of mussels plus corn on the cob and baby red potatoes.

Signature dishes are crab cake and fried shrimp $19.99 and Phillips Premium Crab Cakes $23.99. The cheapest dinner entrees are salmon or scallops for $16.99

Address: 301 Light Street

Comparison: about average

Directions: From 95-Exit 395 R onto Conway (In front of Camden Yards) to end - Light Street Pavilion & Phillips

Discounted Parking: R on Light St. At first light R on Lee St. Harbor Court parking half a block on your right. Bring ticket to Phillips for validation.

Phone: 410-685-6600

Burke's and the Comedy Club - Baltimore

Burke's and the Comedy Club

Burke's Restaurant and Cafe: Downstairs from the Comedy Club

I haven't been to this restaurant. It's been here a long time.

Upstairs is the Comedy Factory is located on the corner of Light Street and Lombard Street in the Inner Harbor

Friday and Saturday night shows at 8:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
For club information and reservations call: 410-547-7798

Chopped Sirloin (ground Beef) 10.95
Land and Sea 24.95 Club Strip Steak and Crab Imperial or Crab Cake
Baked Fillet of Salmon 14.95 Baked in Lemon Buttered Dill
Fillet of Flounder 14.35 Choice of baked or fried
Stuffed Flounder Imperial 19.95 Baked Flounder covered with Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
Seafood Combination # 1 23.95 Crab Imperial, Fried Shrimp, Flounder (baked or fried), Clam Strips
Red Snapper Fish 17.25 (blackened)
Crab Cake s (2) 23.95 (grilled or deep fried)
Crab Imperial 24.50 Jumbo Lump baked to perfection
Fried Sea Scallops 13.75
Fried Clam Strips 10.25

Address: 36 Light Street

Comparison: about average

Directions: Located across the street from the Legg Mason building, just 2 blocks from the Inner Harbor.

Phone: 410 752 4189

Our Place from the car - Baltimore

Our Place from the car

Our Place Restaurant: South Baltimore

When I had broken ribs, I couldn't travel. So I couldn't even get in the car to go down to the Leonardtown house. As I healed, we tried to find places close to the house to eat. We came here a couple of times.

This is definitely a "local" place for local people. It is also hard to find information about it because there are other restaurants named "Our Place" I could only find this because this photo has their website on the sign out front.

According to the website, Our Place Restaurant has been in business for 50 years and is owned and operated by John Tucker.

Our Place Hours

Monday-Friday: 6 am to 2 am
Saturday-Sunday: 7 am to 2 am

Favorite Dish: I don't remember what we had to eat. This is what is on the menu now.

Seafood
Fried Fish Sandwich w/French Fries-$4.50
Fried Oyster Sandwich w/Chips and Pickle-$4.95
Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad-$9.25
Lobster w/2 Vegetables-$13.95
Mussels-2 Dozen ($3.00) 3 Dozen (4.00)
Steamed Shrimp Over Potatoes and Onions-$13.95

Chicken Cordon Blue w/2 Vegetables-$9.95
Fried Chicken Sandwich w/French Fries-$4.95
Hot Turkey w/1 Vegetable-$4.50

Pork
Ham, Green Beans and Potatoes (Cup-$2.25) (Bowl-$3.25)
Butterfly Chop w/2 Vegetables-$12.95
Stuffed Pork Chop w/2 Vegetables-$7.95

Pasta
Lasagna w/Salad and Garlic Bread-$8.95
Spaghetti with meat sauce (Salad and Garlic Bread)-

Pizza
9" Pizza-$4.00 (Additional Toppings-$.50 each)
16" Pizza-$8.00 (Additional Toppings-$.75 each)

Address: 4401 Annapolis Rd., Baltimore, MD 21227

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Baltimore Highlands neighborhood on Maryland Route 648 just north of the Harbor Tunnel thruway.

Phone: 410-636-1601

Theme: Local

Eclair for two - Baltimore

Eclair for two

Gunnings Crab House: Seafood in Brooklyn

After we had our annual trip to the dentist, we stopped off here on the way to visit my mom.

According to their website, Gunnings in this location started in 1969, when Andrew E. Gunning, opened a hole-in-the-wall stag bar in South Baltimore. Offering only beer and shots of whiskey it became a favorite place for the blue collar workers of the Brooklyn neighborhood. It still has this atmosphere.

In 1970, Gunning’s son, Edward, a Baltimore policeman, decide it might be nice to offer the regulars something to munch on while they drank. He brought in five bushels of Baltimore traditional steamed Chesapeake Bay Blue crabs, and laid them out for nine dollars a dozen. Gunning’s Bar became “a Baltimore ‘Hon’ Crab House.”

Gunnings sold their city location and migrated south to Hanover, but the old location in Brooklyn is still there.

This is a local place with tables inside and outside and a sign outside (picture) warning of the attack crab.

Favorite Dish: I had soup (pictured-third photo), and we both had sandwiches. We shared and ENORMOUS eclair (Bob loves eclairs). The bill for lunch was $25.26 including tax, but before the tip was added.

Address: 3901 S. Hanover St.

Phone: 410-354-0085

From across the street - Baltimore

From across the street

Maynards Cafe: Baltimore Cheers

When we were living across the city line in Brooklyn Park, we came here one evening for dinner. Bob's comment was that it was trying to be like "Cheers". I do not remember what we had to eat.

Favorite Dish: on Wednesday October 23, 2002 at 11:56 PM: the following was posted in the Baltimore City Guide:

GO TO MAYNARDS CAFE IN BROOKLYN,,,.GREAT SELECTION DISHES ON MENU,,CHECK OUT GEORGE"S GYRO,,OR MAYBE A GREEK SALAD.MANY OTHER GREAT FOODS TO CHOOSE FROM,REASONABLY PRICED,,SANDWICHES TO PLATTERS,DINNERS ,,HOT WINGS ARE ALSO GREAT...MAYNARDS HAS KARAOKE 5 NIGHTS A WEEK,,HAPPY HOUR AND MANY SPECIALS,, BRING YOUR FRIENDS SHOOT SOME POOL,,WATCH SPORTS ON 8 TV"S,,,ALSO MAYNARDS IS BALTIMORE RAVENS NEST # 16...

Address: 3916 South Hanover Street

Phone: (410) 355-8924

Theme: Local

crabcakes - Baltimore

crabcakes

Renaissance Harborplace: Overlooks Harbor Inner Harbor Review

Wonderful view out over the harbor - beautifully presented but expensive food. However, I parked in the garage and couldn't find my car afterwards because I didn't realize that the floors were color coded and the letters just applied to the aisle.

Favorite Dish: Photo is of my Mom's crab cakes. I can't remember what I had, but it was good. They also gave her a happy birthday 'cake' in the shape of a sailboat which is shown in the other pictures

Address: 202 E. Pratt St.

Comparison: more expensive than average

Phone: 410-547-1200

Theme: Eclectic/International

Website: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/photo-tours.mi?marshaCode=bwish&pageID=HWRAL&imageID=0

• Updated Jun 15, 2007
Other people at lunch - Baltimore

Other people at lunch

Gertrude's: Baltimore Museum of Art

This is a very fancy restaurant, and reservations are recommended. I took my mom here for her 95th birthday. We had a reservation for 12:30 and arrived early (about 12:10). (A couple without a reservation was seated before us even though we arrived at the same time which offended me. I don't know if it was because they were a man and woman, and we were two women or what.)

They were having a BSO luncheon party and by 12:30 the place was filled and people were having to wait to be seated.

The food is good, if expensive, and the service is good except for the seating precedence problem.

The real big problem is the noise. The restaurant was full, and it was REALLY too noisy to talk. It might have been because the luncheon party was mostly women and they were at a long table so had to talk loudly. Maybe it was quieter outside, but it was too hot and humid for us to sit out there.

Favorite Dish: I had a $7.95 soup and sandwich. The soup was the special which was corn and shrimp. The sandwich was toasted cheese and tomato. It came with very good fries which I tried not to eat too many of.

My mom had the turkey club on toast (called the Hutzler's Tea Room Club) for $7.50, which came with regular potato chips (which she doesn't eat although she snitched some of my fries), and she had cream of crab soup ($4.95) which she said she could taste the sherry in. We each got a big dill pickle (which neither of us ate since we don't like them). She took half of her sandwich home.

We both got dessert, and were both really too full to do justice to it. Mom had a chocolate Mudd cake ($5.00), and I had a praline thing called Nougatine Glace for $6.00. I was also tempted by the special which was Peach Cobbler.

We both drank water. The total with tax before the tip was $32.97

• Updated Jul 22, 2006
Sign out front - Baltimore

Sign out front

Uncle Wiggley's: Rodgers Forge Restaurant

We were in Roger's Forge and we stopped here for lunch. I was attracted by the sign across the store front which said "Overstuffed Sandwiches" and also by the ice cream. Bob was unhappy that what looked like parking out front had meters at it, so have some change.

The sign on the front says Ice Cream but Uncle Wiggly's expanded its menu of Edy's ice cream and Green Mountain coffee to include sandwiches, salads, and soups. It's open to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday (and till 11 Friday and Saturday evenings).

Obviously most of the clientel takes out the food. But I wanted to eat there. I found a table to sit at (and told Bob to get some napkins to wipe it off because it was dirty), and then ordered the special.

Favorite Dish: Lunch for two was $13.00 which is a bit expensive for a lunch of two sandwiches where you don't get served and where you have to bus your own tables IMO. Bob got a tuna sandwich and I got the special of Pit Beef which came with a pickle and a small container of potato salad. I was thinking of getting some ice cream too, because it looked tempting, and so did something described as an Ice Rage. But the Ice Rage was a coffee based drink and I don't usually drink coffee so I was afraid to try it.

Address: 6911 York Rd

Phone: (410) 377-3373

Theme: Deli

Website: http://baltimore.citysearch.com/profile/4976487/baltimore_md/uncle_wiggly_s_ice_cream_cof.html

• Updated Jun 16, 2006
Hard Rock (Paul Reed Smith guitar)  across harbor - Baltimore

Hard Rock (Paul Reed Smith guitar) across harbor

Hard Rock: Paul Reed Smith Guitar Hard Rock Café. Review

Hard Rock Cafes are a chain - I haven't been to this one, but I've been to the one in Miami where we ate with a coupon from the AAA book. The first one I went to was in Atlanta.

This one is special though because it has a Paul Reed Smith guitar as a sign. Those guitars are manufactered locally on Kent Island. You can see the guitar from 6 miles away.

Favorite Dish: The building dates back to the Civil War, and inside there is a 1960 teal Cadillac hovering over the custom-designed bar, which is shaped like a Les Paul complete with inlaid handle.

Address: 601 E. Pratt Street

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Between the Baltimore National Aquarium and Fell's Point, within easy walking distance of the Baltimore Convention Center, Camden Yards, and Raven's Stadium.

Phone: 410-347-ROCK

Theme: American

Website: http://www.hardrock.com/locations/cafes/Cafes.aspx

• Updated Sep 4, 2003

grandmaR Used To Live Here!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Baltimore

Have you been to Baltimore?

Latest Activity in Baltimore