"Native Baltimoron" Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore by grandmaR

Baltimore Travel Guide: 1,196 reviews and 3,406 photos

My roots

I was born and brought up in Baltimore. When I married, my husband was in the Navy and we lived in various places around the US. Over the years (between 1959 when I married and 2007 when we finally sold my mom's house after her death) I came back to visit my parents. I also worked at a building on St. Paul Place in Baltimore in the late 80s and early 90s.

When I worked here, I drove down St. Paul to the I-695 Beltway, or to our city house in northern Anne Arundel County. I enjoyed looking at the the new and old buildings and the changing city architecture and skyline. I took this picture from my car this August as I drove down St. Paul Place again. I have no idea what these buildings are.

My sister and I usually took my mom somewhere for dinner to celebrate her birthday.

In 1998, we went to Annapolis and stayed a weekend in a hotel overlooking the harbor.

For her 90th birthday (1999), my three girls and their children took her to Chuckie Cheese. Then the next day, my sister and I had a surprise birthday party with 40 people which was in Towson.

For her birthday in 2000 (age 91), we went down to the harbor and took the water taxi around and then had dinner down there.

In 2001, we went to a restaurant in Roland Park.

In 2002, we ate at the Renaissance Harborplace overlooking Baltimore Harbor (top picture) with the son of my mother's first cousin who was visiting from Japan.

In 2003 and 2005, we had a celebration out on her deck (in Towson)

For her 95th birthday (2004) I took her to Gertrudes at the Baltimore Museum of Art.

She died before her 2006 birthday when she would have been 97

• Pros:Lots of interesting things to visit
  • Cons:Water is sometimes dirty - hard to park
  • In a nutshell:Welcome to Ballymer Hon
  • Last visit to Baltimore: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2011

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM

HI Rosalie!! I am native 'Baltimoron' also, just 9 yrs younger- first month of the Boomers! Gr8 memories of yr Mother; my dear Mother passed in 2003, she then lived just over the PA line. Yr tips are great that Rodin st. inspired me

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Hi, Rosalie! Just wanted to say congratulations on your Barney nomination! It's well deserved!

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Interesting to see Baltimore in the old days

• May 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Yes, that's John Mifflin Hood, president of the WM Ry. from 1874 to 1902. The monument is located in St. Paul Place, a small park located along St. Paul Street where it is crossed by Orleans Street (on an overpass) in downtown Baltimore.

• Jan 3, 2007 at 11:51 AM

I went there after I moved in that area from out of state and the food was ok at best and the service was terrible. Tried it a few times to give it a chance, same story each time.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 9:54 PM

Rosalie are you going to be at Baltoberfest? I am hoping to get to meet you. Jill

• RIPKEN_HOF's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 3:11 PM

GrandmaR, days later an Still reading your pages,,really cool, v.helpful for me putting my pages up ,thx..when u coming back for some Natty Bohs and crabs ?

• Radiomom's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2004 at 10:50 AM

Good page -- we spend as much time in Baltimore as in DC (we live in between) LOVE the museums, the Artfest in Mount Royal, Federal Hill, Camden....and, of course, the Orioles!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2004 at 11:16 AM

I was in Baltimore for a wedding and never had a chance to see a thing...oh well, maybe next time!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2003 at 3:36 PM

Thanks for the information on places to eat and visit in Baltimore. I found the acquarium listing to be of great help, and hope to visit there in December.

grandmaR Used To Live Here!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Baltimore

Have you been to Baltimore?

Latest Activity in Baltimore