"The Cradle of American Industry" Saugus by grandmaR
Saugus Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 18 photos
The NPS has developed an Educational program in conjunction with various National Historic Sites called "Exploring the Real Thing".
Target Audience Grades 1-8
Class Size 28 students
1:10 chaperone to student ratio
Availability Available mid-September through October and April through mid-June. Summer programs available by reservation.
Accessibility The program is wheelchair accessible with advanced notice. Call the site for further information.
Food Student groups can bring lunches and eat outdoors at picnic tables or on the grass.
Restrooms Wheelchair accessible Restrooms are available.
...Students visit the blast furnace with its twin 18-foot bellows where they learn about the process of turning raw material (iron ore) into pig iron (cast iron). Students then visit the forge with its 500-pound trip hammer to find out how pig iron was strengthened to create wrought iron suitable for wholesale distribution. Finally, students go to the rolling and slitting mill where they find out how large bars of wrought iron were heated and put through rollers to create a product for sale to blacksmiths. The program culminates with a blacksmith demonstration that allows students to see the process of turning iron into everyday objects like nails. Each site is powered by waterwheels...
The Saugus Iron Mill is located along the banks of the Saugus River. When we were there, the area where ships would have... more travel advice
While we were there, they did a demonstration of making nails. I seem to remember that they could make them by hand, or... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Saugus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Cradle of American Industry"
- "Saugus Iron Works"
- "Homer Would Be in Paradise"
- "Basaic Saugus Iron Works Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saugus
- Hotels in Saugus
- Restaurants in Saugus
- Shopping in Saugus
- Warnings and Dangers in Saugus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saugus
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (513)
Have you been to Saugus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saugus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues