New Orleans Restaurant Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination

New Orleans Restaurants: 864 reviews and 789 photos

Counter with park employee - New Orleans

Counter with park employee

City Park: Timken Center

Our city tour stopped here at City Park for us to use the bathrooms and get refreshment. This place has sandwiches, chicken tenders, popcorn, pretzels, pastries, ice cream, various soft drinks, coffee and apparently also beer.

We didn't get anything to eat, but it would have been better if we had, because I had to gulp down a burger from McDonalds before our afternoon tour

Address: 1 Palm Drive

Price: less than US$10

Mother's "The World's Best Baked Ham" restaurant - New Orleans

Mother's "The World's Best Baked Ham" restaurant

Mother's Restaurant: The Best Po'Boys Mother's Review

When we had our meeting Saturday morning, this was one of the special restaurants that was recommended. So when we went past it on the New Orleans city tour, I took this picture, but we never got back to eat there. I'm not sure what the statis is post-Katrina.

The food is served Cafeteria Style and there are no reservations, so sometimes there is a line waiting to get in. I can't stand in line because it hurts my back too much. But at least you have the picture of the outside of it.

Mother's is open daily from 6:30 a.m. till 10 p.m. and Sundays from 7:00 a.m. till 10 p.m.

Favorite Dish: The signature po'boy is the "Ferdi" Special. They are also famous for their ham (as the sign says). The Ferdi (Ferdi being the brother of the original owner), is piled high with Mother's best baked ham, roast beef, debris (flecks of meat left in the pan) and gravy, shredded cabbage, pickles, mayo and yellow & creole mustards. The Ralph (Ferdi's son) is the Ferdi with cheese.

From Faison Everywhere a column by Sharon Faison

In a year, Mother's cooks:

more than 100,000 lbs. of ham; over 100,000 lbs. of roast beef; a lot more than 40,000 lbs. of turkey; almost 250,000 lbs of cabbage; around 90,000 lbs. of jambalaya; some 30,000 lbs. of homemade sausage; greater than 275,000 eggs; a staggering 12,000 soft shell crabs; amazingly over 30,000 lbs. of shrimp; about 250,000 biscuits; a whopping 3,500 fresh pies; over 100,000 loaves of French bread; more than 1,500 gal. of Creole mustard and a Ton of hot pepper sauce! And DO NOT leave Mother's without trying the bread pudding and whiskey sauce

Address: 401 Poydras St

Phone: (504) 523-9656

Price: less than US$10

Emeril's Delmonico from the streetcar stop - New Orleans

Emeril's Delmonico from the streetcar stop

Delmonico's: Emeril's Emeril's Delmonico Restaurant Review

I think Delmonico's is one of Emeril's restaurants. We didn't eat there because we thought it would be too expensive. We went to Uglesich's for lunch instead.

Address: 1300 St. Charles Ave

Directions: St Charles Ave, right south of Lee's Circle and I-10

Phone: 504.525.4937

Theme: Eclectic/International

Collage of restaurant, kitchen door and oysters - New Orleans

Collage of restaurant, kitchen door and oysters

Deanie's Seafood: Boiled Potatoes Substitute for Rolls Deanie's Review

We asked the girl at the desk for another recommendation for a restaurant, and she told us about Deanie's. Their first restaurant was in Metaire and this is a second location.

Deanies is a big place and they give you a lot of food at very reasonable prices. In the corner there were apparently slot machines (which are called gaming devices here because there is no gambling allowed), and the sign next to the area said that the doors had to remain closed at all times and that persons under 18 were not allowed to see the devices and those under 21 were not allowed to play them.

Favorite Dish: At the beginning of the meal they brought us a dish of boiled new potatoes and butter instead of rolls. Bob had a dozen raw oysters (some of them pictured) for $8.95 and a house salad ($3.95), and I had the crawfish quartet ($14.95) which was crawfish fixed 4 ways - au gratin, fried tails, etouffee and crawfish dressing balls. I couldn't eat it all and brought it home, along with the bread pudding ($4.25) that I got for dessert. Our bill before tip was $40.15

Address: 841 Iberville, New Orleans

Comparison: about average

Directions: On the outskirts of the French Quarter at the corner of Dauphine and Iberville. The original location is in Metaire

Phone: 581-1316

Price: US$21-30

Rating: 3

Theme: Seafood

Corner in the French Quarter - New Orleans

Corner in the French Quarter

Cafe Bienville: Hotel Restaurant Cafe Bienville Review

Wandering in the French Quarter I took this picture. I thought it looked interesting but it turned out to be the restaurant for the Holiday Inn New Orleans Hotel Chateau Lemoyne

I have not eaten here.

Address: 301 Rue Bienville

Directions: The hotel restaurant for Chateau Lemoyne French Quarter on the corner of Bienville St.

Phone: (504) 581-1303

Street in front of Old Absinthe House - New Orleans

Street in front of Old Absinthe House

Tony Moran's: Northern Italian Tony Moran's Review

We didn't eat here, but I saw another tip for this restaurant and so I posted the picture.

Open for dinner nightly, 6p.m. to midnight.

Favorite Dish: The website says: Besides their famous pastas, the chef will tantalize your taste buds with mouthwatering cuts of prime aged beef, the freshest local seafood, succulent chicken or any of his veal masterpieces

Address: 240 Bourbon St.

Directions: Above the old Absinthe House

Phone: (504) 523–4640

Theme: Italian

Collage - menu, counter and street ourside - New Orleans

Collage - menu, counter and street ourside

Half Shell Restaurant & Lenny's Piccadilly Lounge: A Local Hangout Half Shell Restaurant & Lenny's Piccadilly Lounge Review

When we first got to our hotel on Friday, at the recommendation of the girl at the front desk, we went across the street to the Half Shell to have lunch. We each had a po'boy - I had shrimp and Bob had oyster (both $7.95-photo 3). The counter where the waitress takes our order is inset on the upper right. The main picture is looking down from our hotel room and there is an inset of the menu with some specialties.

Since we had a refrigerator and microwave in the room, we never availed ourselves of breakfast, but they were recommended for breakfast too. They have everything from dry cereal with toast and juice to cornmeal covered fried catfish with grits, steak and eggs, french toast, pancakes and omelets including one filled with crawfish.

Favorite Dish: The next day (Saturday) we were worn out from walking through the markets and were really too tired to go out for dinner, so we went across the street to the Half Shell again I had a shrimp salad ($14.95) which was HUGE, and seafood chowder which came with a scoop of rice in it. Bob had the bbq shrimp (photo 4), which basically was shrimp in a kind of spicy sauce, and a house salad. We shared a bread pudding for dessert (photo five $4.25) The total bill was $43.65 plus tip.

Monday we got back to the hotel about 5, and were too tired to do anything but go across the street to the Half Shell for dinner. I had a PoBoy and Bob had fish strips.

Address: 111-113 University Place

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Next to the Orpheum Theatre and across from the Fairmont, just around the corner from McDonalds on Canal Street.

Phone: 525-4083

Rating: 4

Website: http://new.orleans.diningguide.net/data/d100204.htm

• Updated Apr 15, 2007
Fried green tomatos and Mama's shrimp pasta - New Orleans

Fried green tomatos and Mama's shrimp pasta

Uglesich's Restaurant and Bar: Only Lunch and Only Cash Uglesich's Restaurant and Bar Review

Katrina caused damage to the roof of the restaurant. Until the roof is 100% complete, they still say "it ain't over till it's over, and it's still not over." So they apparently intend to reopen. Updates and any announcements will be first posted on the web page below. Items for sale on their website will go to hurricane relief

____________

I saw Uglesich's (pronounced YU-gul-sitch) profiled on Rachael Ray's $40/day TV show when it was in New Orleans. The restaurant is open only for lunch Monday through Friday, from 10:30 until four, and has a fan base that includes high-profile restaurateurs Emeril Lagasse, Susan Spicer and Frank Brigtsen.

Pableaux Johnson in New Orleans' Gambit Weekly
4 March 2003 writes:
Inside, Uglesich’s is pretty much the same as it’s always been — a 20-by-20 box with concrete floors and a low drop ceiling. Stainless industrial refrigerators and utilitarian plastic shelving units line the walls. Cases of Barq’s longnecks, bottled spring water and various beers support the 6-foot wood-paneled divider between the small dining area and the even smaller 10-by-10 kitchen. Fifteen beige-flecked Formica tables (ten for indoor dining, five more for warm-weather sidewalk seating) clutter the main floor. A stainless-steel bar runs from the front door to the kitchen with a 6-foot extension — the famed oyster bar — jutting off at a right angle.

Favorite Dish: I promised Bob that if we went on the streetcar to Uglesich's (and didn't take a cab) that we could go to McDonalds for dinner and wouldn't have to go to some expensive fancy place. So we walked down to where we could get the historic St. Charles line steetcar which has been in operation since 1835. Uglesich's is at 1200 block of Baronne St. about two blocks north of where the streetcar goes.

We stood in line outside Uglesich's for only about 15 minutes, and then we gave our order, paid ($33.12), and waited for a table to be free. While we were waiting, we talked to Michael Rogers, the champion oyster shucker. We got there about noon, and were finished about 1:15.

Specialties include: succulent shrimp stuffed with herbed lump crabmeat. Delicate sauteed oyster “shooters” drenched in a cane syrup/sun-dried tomato vinaigrette. Peerless grilled speckled trout or the spicy/tart shrimp Uggie, tinted red with three different chiles.

At the hotel meeting, we were told that fried green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade sauce were a specialty, so that's what I got and then I had Mama's shrimp pasta. Mama's pasta proved to have shrimp, artichokes and dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese on spaghetti (top picture). Bob doesn't like green tomatoes so he got just the shrimp salad and the sauce. Also pictured is the counter with people waiting or paying (lower right), the front door with the line waiting to get in reflected in it (center) and on the lower left a part of someone else's lunch.

Address: 1238 Baronne St.

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: Two blocks north of St. Charles- get off on Erato Street turn to Wendy's and walk two blocks down, in which, the restaurant is located on the corner of Baronne and Erato.

Phone: 504-525-4925

Rating: 5

Theme: Seafood

Website: http://www.uglesichs.com/

• Updated Jun 16, 2006
Vegetarian Muffulatta - New Orleans

Vegetarian Muffulatta

Cafe Maspero: Vegetarian Muffalatta Cafe Maspero Review

We came in here for dinner one night. The place was crowded with folks who were partying (third picture). It was very noisy.

You have to pay in cash - they don't take credit cards.

Favorite Dish: One of the New Orleans specialties is muffuletta, which is a sandwich with shrimp and sausage and various kinds of cheese topped with an olive salad. Since I don't care for sausage much, I decided to have a vegetarian one of those. Well I don't like the green olive salad either (I like the ripe olives, but don't like the green ones), and it was primarily swiss cheese which is my least favorite cheese, so I didn't care much for this either. I also got a side salad and that proved to also be topped with swiss cheese (see last photo)

Address: 601 Decatur St.

Directions: near Jackson Square

Phone: 523-6250

Rating: 2

Theme: Coffeehouse

Website: http://www.digitalcity.com/neworleans/entertainment/venue.adp?sbid=105707837&type=userreviews

• Updated Oct 16, 2005
I took my picture in the mirror - New Orleans

I took my picture in the mirror

Cafe du Monde: Lunch Cafe du Monde Review

About the time my feet gave out from walking around the French Market and the Farmer's Market, it was noon, and I spotted the Cafe du Monde across the street - this is a famous place that Rachael Ray (Food Channel) ate breakfast in on $40/day - they do beignets 24/7. So we went in and had lunch which I didn't know was possible. We gave our order in at the counter and found a table to sit down. The service was a bit slow - fortunately we weren't in a hurry. Some people were annoyed.

The French Market Cafe du Monde has reopened after Hurricane Katrina as of October 2005

Favorite Dish: I had a spinach quiche ($5.99), and Bob had a Decatur club sandwich ($6.99) and we had cranberry juice to drink, plus I got three beignets for $1.50 as dessert. I thought they tasted like funnel cakes.

Address: 800 Decatur Street, New Orleans

Directions: across Jackson Square, close to French Market

Phone: 1-800-772-2927

Rating: 3

Theme: Coffeehouse

Website: http://www.cafedumonde.com

• Updated Oct 16, 2005

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in New Orleans

Have you been to New Orleans?

Latest Activity in New Orleans