"Two Visits - 54 Years Apart" Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans by grandmaR
New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,331 reviews and 7,719 photos
In 2004, when I found an inexpensive hotel right off Canal Street, we flew in and spent a week in New Orleans and another 3 days out in the New Iberia area.
My first visit to New Orleans was when I was 12 and in the 7th grade. In addition to this picture (which my dad took - the horse's name was Blackie and he was pulling a scarlet carriage), the chief things I remember were pralines, the street cars on Canal street, the grillwork on the balconies of the French quarter (and the Garden District), the above ground tombs in the cemeteries, and eating in a fancy restaurant on Bourbon Street and at the Courtyard of the Two Sisters
When Bob was transferred to the base in New Iberia in 1960, we did not visit New Orleans.
So 2004 was Bob's first visit. It was before Hurricane Katrina
We rode the streetcars up and down Canal Street, along the water front and out to the Garden District. We took a city tour that included the cemeteries. We went to the Audubon Aquarium (although it was too cold and windy for us to want to take the J. J. Audubon in the picture out to the Audubon zoo). We walked around Jackson Square, and in the French Quarter, and shopped at the French market. We ate New Orleans food and we took the free ferry over to the Algier's Point.
We also took a boat ride up to the site of the Battle of 1812, and a tour which included both the Oak Alley plantation and the Jean Lafitte swamp.
Additional photos and descriptions are under
Algiers (Mardi Gras World)
Chalmette (Battle of New Orleans site)
Jean Lafitte (Swamp Tour)
Jean Lafitte National Historic Park - French Quarter Unit
and Vacherie (Oak Alley)
- In a nutshell:Almost like another country
When we were in New Orleans, there was a boat called the J. J. Audubon which ran between the Aquarium of the Americas... more travel advice
Popeyes started in New Orleans by Al Copeland as a regular fried chicken place and added Cajun spices to distinguish... more travel advice
- See All City Park
- Pick Your Tours Carefully
- See All Streetcars in the Neutral Ground
- See All French Market to Convention Center
- See All Recycled
grandmaR's Related Pages
New Orleans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
- "new orleans louisiana"
- "The Naughty Madame"
- "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- "Crescent City Comes Calling"
- "THE BIG EASY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Orleans
- Hotels in New Orleans
- Transportation in New Orleans
- Nightlife in New Orleans
- Restaurants in New Orleans
- Shopping in New Orleans
- Warnings and Dangers in New Orleans
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Orleans
- 177 Reviews
- 388 Photos
- 52 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Orleans
Photos in New OrleansSee All Photos (388)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues