New Iberia Nightlife Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
New Iberia Nightlife: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Main Street looking toward the theatre
I haven't actually been to this theatre. I think it closed during the time we were in the area in 1960. The walking tour website says: "First opened as a movie theatre in 1930 by the Sliman family, the theatre closed in 1960 and stayed dormant and unoccupied until 1994, when a total restoration began following its donation to the City by the Sliman family."
The New Iberia website says: "State Representative Bo Ackal initiated efforts to acquire funding to preserve this "Art Deco" gem and restore it to its useful purpose for the community. As a result of these efforts, the City received a State Capital Outlay Grant in 1995 for the proposed project and work began in 1997. The doors of The Sliman Theater for Performing Arts opened in 1998, since then the theater has established itself as a quality venue for performance art.
"The Sliman Theater is currently host to the widely-acclaimed musical concert series entitled Louisiana Crossroads, presented by the Acadiana Arts Council."
I took the picture from the parking lot next to the theatre, and some of the pavement was mosaic tile probably from a former building that stood there.
Address: 129 East Main Street
Phone: (337) 373-3120.
More Reviews (21)
grandmaR's Related Pages
New Iberia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queen City of the Bayou - Mansions, and Sugar"
- "New Iberia, LA"
- "New Iberia"
- "larsy's new New Iberia Page/Avery Island page"
- "SeaBreezeUSA's new New Iberia page"
- "New Iberia "The Berry""
- "Basaic New Iberia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Iberia
- Hotels in New Iberia
- Nightlife in New Iberia
- Restaurants in New Iberia
- Shopping in New Iberia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Launceston Hotels
- Castaner Hotels
- Aculco de Espinoza Hotels
- Dunmovin Hotels
Badges & Stats in New Iberia
- 22 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to New Iberia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Iberia
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: Driving from SFO to Yosemite"
- Uploaded a Photo to "St. Martinsville"
- Wrote a Review St. Martinsville in New Iberia Off The Beaten Path
- updated a New Iberia Travelogue "Historic Downtown of New Iberia"
- Commented on one of rmbtac's New Iberia travel pages
Photos in New IberiaSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues