"Shrimp and Oil" Morgan City by grandmaR
Morgan City Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 69 photos
We went to Morgan City in 1960 for the Blessing of the Fleet. And then in 2004 when we visited New Orleans, we also went back to Jeanerette where we had lived in 1960 and on the way we stopped by Morgan City. In 1958, when I was in college, I saw the film "All the King's Men" about Huey Long. So in 1960, when I saw all the OK Allen bridges, I got "Louisiana Hayride" (the book on which the movie was loosely based) out of the library and read it. When we got to Morgan City the second time, they were filming the remake of "All the King's Men"
What a coincidence
We also went out to Brownell Park on our second visit, and saw the (free) Brownell Memorial Park carillon. We also saw the "Mr Charlie Rig Museum" (the International Petroleum Museum and Exposition). The first offshore oil rig that was stationed out of sight of land was 43 miles south of Morgan City in 1947. This museum is the only place where folks can walk aboard an authentic offshore oil rig, but we decided not to wait for the tour. At Cypress Manor, a 1906 house with a Mardi Gras exhibit and I took a picture, but we didn't go in
In the 205 Shop that was advertised in the guide I had , the lady theretold us that they still had the Blessing of the Fleet and they closed the old bridge so people could walk out on it, but it was a much bigger deal now and was for both shrimp AND oil.
In 1960, we came over to Morgan City on a Sunday for the Blessing of the Shrimp Fleet. It was the 23rd Blessing of the... more travel advice
I was interested in hearing the bell tower, and the park was said to be free. It was indeed free, but it had been closed... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Morgan City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shrimp and Oil"
- "Best Seafood in the Nation?"
- "Basaic Morgan City Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Morgan City
- Hotels in Morgan City
- Restaurants in Morgan City
- Shopping in Morgan City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morgan City
- 8 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Morgan City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morgan City
Photos in Morgan CitySee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues