"Shrimp and Oil" Morgan City by grandmaR

Morgan City Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 60 photos

We went to Morgan City in 1960 for the Blessing of the Fleet. And then in 2004 when we visited New Orleans, we also went back to Jeanerette where we had lived in 1960 and on the way we stopped by Morgan City. In 1958, when I was in college, I saw the film "All the King's Men" about Huey Long. So in 1960, when I saw all the OK Allen bridges, I got "Louisiana Hayride" (the book on which the movie was loosely based) out of the library and read it. When we got to Morgan City the second time, they were filming the remake of "All the King's Men"

What a coincidence

We also went out to Brownell Park on our second visit, and saw the (free) Brownell Memorial Park carillon. We also saw the "Mr Charlie Rig Museum" (the International Petroleum Museum and Exposition). The first offshore oil rig that was stationed out of sight of land was 43 miles south of Morgan City in 1947. This museum is the only place where folks can walk aboard an authentic offshore oil rig, but we decided not to wait for the tour. At Cypress Manor, a 1906 house with a Mardi Gras exhibit and I took a picture, but we didn't go in

In the 205 Shop that was advertised in the guide I had , the lady theretold us that they still had the Blessing of the Fleet and they closed the old bridge so people could walk out on it, but it was a much bigger deal now and was for both shrimp AND oil.

• Last visit to Morgan City: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2012

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Morgan City

Have you been to Morgan City?

Latest Activity in Morgan City