"Lighthouses of Louisiana" Madisonville by grandmaR
Madisonville Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 22 photos
We came to Madisonville to see the lighthouse at the end of the Tchefuncte River, near where the river enters Lake Pontchartrain. Because the road was flooded, we went to the the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Maritime Museum
The Madisonville Lighthouse was built in 1838 and is on the United States National Register of Historic Places. The land route to the lighthouse was destroyed by Hurricane Betsy in 1965, and it has since been accessible only by boat.
Madisonville was the site of the Native American village of Chiconcte so called because of an abundance of shellfish. In 1810 it was renamed in honor of President of the United States James Madison.
It was an important port providing bricks and other products of the towns along the Tchefuncte to New Orleans in the decades before the American Civil War.
The opening of the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway and associated highways gradually brought Madisonville into the sphere of Greater New Orleans in the late 20th century.
Much of the town flooded with the Lake Pontchartrain storm surge of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The police station was destroyed by the floodwaters, along with the lower levels of the fire station.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Madisonville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful, Tiny Town North of New Orleans"
- "North of Lake Pontchartrain"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madisonville
- 0 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Madisonville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madisonville
Photos in MadisonvilleSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues