"Look Homeward Angel - back to Jeanerette of 1960" Jeanerette by grandmaR

Jeanerette Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 28 photos

The house we rented in 1960 as it was in 2004

In 1960, Bob was stationed in New Iberia to finish his flight training. Due to a lack of rental housing, we rented a house in Jeanerette. The house was a small two bedroom in the middle of what had been a sugar cane field. Two of these houses had been built as an investment by an Italian grocer named Joe Grisieffi. He had a small store on Main Street. The house was on an unpaved un-named road, and I got my mail General Delivery.

We attended the Presbyterian church, and I went to the ladies circle meetings. I was the youngest person there by at least 40 years. It was pretty common for them to be talking about someone, and when I inquired, they would think a minute and then tell me that the person they were talking about had been dead for some number of years.

We returned in 2004, and we were eventually able to find the house we had lived in, but the church (pictured) had been torn down, and those who attended had to go to a neighboring town. Grisieffi's grocery was also no longer still standing.

The directions to the house used to be -

1) Go to the end of the highway (highway doesn't end there now)
2) Turn left
3) Take the first right. If you get to the yellow brick school, you've gone too far. The yellow brick school is still there.
4) Go to the sheet metal building which is a welding shop (that is still there although it doesn't look as though it should be)
5) Take the first right and the house will be the first one on the left but not on the corner. (House is no longer the first one)

• Last visit to Jeanerette: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2011

Comments

grandmaR Used To Live Here!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Jeanerette

Have you been to Jeanerette?

Latest Activity in Jeanerette