"Look Homeward Angel - back to Jeanerette of 1960" Jeanerette by grandmaR
Jeanerette Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 28 photos
In 1960, Bob was stationed in New Iberia to finish his flight training. Due to a lack of rental housing, we rented a house in Jeanerette. The house was a small two bedroom in the middle of what had been a sugar cane field. Two of these houses had been built as an investment by an Italian grocer named Joe Grisieffi. He had a small store on Main Street. The house was on an unpaved un-named road, and I got my mail General Delivery.
We attended the Presbyterian church, and I went to the ladies circle meetings. I was the youngest person there by at least 40 years. It was pretty common for them to be talking about someone, and when I inquired, they would think a minute and then tell me that the person they were talking about had been dead for some number of years.
We returned in 2004, and we were eventually able to find the house we had lived in, but the church (pictured) had been torn down, and those who attended had to go to a neighboring town. Grisieffi's grocery was also no longer still standing.
The directions to the house used to be -
1) Go to the end of the highway (highway doesn't end there now)
2) Turn left
3) Take the first right. If you get to the yellow brick school, you've gone too far. The yellow brick school is still there.
4) Go to the sheet metal building which is a welding shop (that is still there although it doesn't look as though it should be)
5) Take the first right and the house will be the first one on the left but not on the corner. (House is no longer the first one)
In 1960, Bob was going through the training command, and at that time the last part of ASW training was done at the... more travel advice
We decided to have lunch, and after passing up small local seafood chain place, and Sonic (Bob doesn't like drive-in... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Jeanerette Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Look Homeward Angel - back to Jeanerette of 1960"
- Create a Jeanerette Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Jeanerette
- 5 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Jeanerette?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jeanerette
Photos in JeaneretteSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues