"The Battle of Chalmette" Chalmette by grandmaR
Chalmette Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 74 photos
We arrived on the Creole Queen, a paddlewheel boat, to tour the battlefield. We had a talk by the park ranger which was excellent (and free) but we didn't have much time there because we had to leave to get back to New Orleans.
The National Park Service Chalmette Battlefield and National Cemetery preserves the site of the January 8, 1815, Battle of New Orleans. The significance of the site is that it was a decisive American victory over the British at the end of the War of 1812.
- In a nutshell:Site of the Battle of New Orleans
The Malus-Beauregard House (c.1833) was built after the battle, so it isn't part of the story. But there is a gift shop... more travel advice
On January 8, 1815, the guns positioned here fired at British counter batteries located almost 1/2 mile from here.... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Chalmette Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Chalmette Page"
- "chalmette louisiana"
- "The Battle of Chalmette"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chalmette
- Hotels in Chalmette
- Transportation in Chalmette
- Restaurants in Chalmette
- Shopping in Chalmette
- Warnings and Dangers in Chalmette
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chalmette
- 13 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Chalmette?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chalmette
Photos in ChalmetteSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues