"Huey Long's Capitol" Top 5 Page for this destination Baton Rouge by grandmaR
Baton Rouge Travel Guide: 322 reviews and 682 photos
When Bob was stationed in New Iberia Louisiana, we lived in Jeanerette and visited Lafayette, Morgan City and St. Martinsville. But we never got to New Orleans or Baton Rouge, or even Avery Island. We remedied the New Orleans omission in 2004. This time we were visiting Baton Rouge and Shreveport.
We stayed a little way out of Baton Rouge in Denham Springs. After we visited the capital building in the city, we went to the Rural Life Museum at Louisiana State. On the way out we dropped by the locks at Port Allen, and the old historic lock at Plaquemine.
When we lived in Jeanerette, I read "Huey Long’s Louisiana Hayride: The American Rehearsal for Dictatorship, 1928-1940" by Harnet Kane. Huey Long (according to what I remember) took care of business by blackmail. If someone, be he a judge or an elected official, did not vote the way Huey wanted, he had a signed and undated resignation ready to use. The resignation was obtained by finding something in the person's past that he didn't want known. Huey was also smart enough not to use the US Mail for his business. Controversial material was delivered by state troopers so he couldn't be touched by the post office.
After Huey was elected to the US Senate, he got his friend Oscar Kelly Allen (O. K. Allen) elected Governor to keep control of the state. I had heard that O.K. was his nickname because he OKed everything Huey wanted. Huey Long was getting ready to run for President of the United States when he was assassinated. He had already written a book entitled "My First Days in the White House", laying out his plans for the presidency after victory in the election of 1936.
So I thought of Huey Long as a corrupt politician. It was a huge surprise to me to find almost all the Baton Rouge literature about him seemed to revere his memory. His name is plastered on practically everything from streets and bridges to schools and public buildings.
Huey did do good things for the state, and I guess it is this for which he is remembered.
I like Hampton Inns. I did a search on Hampton Inns that I could stay in for a visit to Baton Rouge. And I found this... more travel advice
Since it wasn't far to Shreveport, I decided to go see the Plaquemine Locks, which are a historic landmark. But I was... more travel advice
- See All Baton Rouge - the Red Stick
- At the top of the State Capital
- Funeral Carriages and Cast Iron Coffins
Written Feb 15, 2009
Huey Long's Capitol
Written Feb 24, 2008
Finishing Up Baton Rouge
grandmaR's Related Pages
Baton Rouge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "baton rouge louisiana"
- "Land of Oil and Red Tape"
- "Huey Long's Capitol"
- "A Special town with Culture"
- "Baton Rouge"
- "Basaic Baton Rouge Page"
- "Tiger Town!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baton Rouge
- Hotels in Baton Rouge
- Transportation in Baton Rouge
- Nightlife in Baton Rouge
- Restaurants in Baton Rouge
- Shopping in Baton Rouge
- Warnings and Dangers in Baton Rouge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baton Rouge
- 18 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (513)
Have you been to Baton Rouge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baton Rouge
Photos in Baton RougeSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues