"Compromise Capitol" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfort by grandmaR
Frankfort Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 454 photos
I was told that Frankfort was chosen as the state capitol because it was halfway between Louisville and Lexington which both wanted it. There are two capitol buildings - an old one and a new one.
The name probably came from an altercation where one of the pioneers, Stephen Frank, was killed near here. The crossing became known as "Frank’s Ford." Later this name was shortened to Frankfort.
Frankfort Union Station (according to this sign) was built by the Louisville & Nashville RR in 1908 to replace the depot located here by Lexington and Frankfort R.R. in the 1850s. The present station was used by the Chesapeake & Ohio, Louisville & Nashville, Frankfort & Cincinnati and the Kentucky Highlands railroads The last scheduled passenger train was C&O George Washington in April 30, 1971.
We ate dinner at nearby O'Charley's. This was another chain that I had never heard of, probably because there are none... more travel advice
We stopped at on overlook so I could take photos of the capital. I heard music being played over the loudspeaker, but... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Frankfort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Frankly My Dear..... it's Frankfort, KY"
- "Compromise Capitol"
- "History City"
- "Basaic Frankfort Page"
- "Frankfort: The Capital"
- "Day Trip to Frankfort Kentucky"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankfort
- Hotels in Frankfort
- Nightlife in Frankfort
- Restaurants in Frankfort
- Shopping in Frankfort
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfort
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankfort
- 10 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Frankfort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfort
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 732 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues