"Job Training" Des Plaines by grandmaR
Des Plaines Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 18 photos
From 1987 to 1999, I was often sent to the OSHA Training Institute (OTI) in Des Plaines for job training. The picture has two of the Student Guide that each course gave us, that I decorated with magic markers or highlighters when I was bored in class.
I had to stay in a hotel that offered transportation to and from the Institute and had government rates, because I wouldn't get reimbursed for a rental car or rates that were more than a certain amount. I was allowed various amounts for food on my expense account, and always tried to keep my food expenses below those numbers.
Some of the hotels (and restaurants) are not actually in Des Plaines, but are in Schiller Park or Rosemont (although those are often more expensive), or Elk Grove or other nearby suburbs.
Usually I went to the Jewel-Osco behind the Institute on the first day and bought lunch for that day and snacks.
Under the General tips, I will list my expenses for each trip as I find them.
If the trip was more than 3 or 4 days, I tried to do some sightseeing in the area. I've got pictures from Oak Park, downtown Chicago and the Chicago Aquarium in the appropriate places on VT.
I have records of the following trips at the moment:
Sept 1993 - Ergonomics
20-24 June 1994 - Lab Safety
1-5 April 1996
21-24 October 1996 - stayed at the Hampton Inn
20-24 October 1997 - Stayed at the Doubletree Club Hotel at O'Hare
2-5 April 1998 - Confined Spaces
There were other course that I haven't found the records for yet.
- Pros:Lots of services for travelers
- Cons:Expensive, especially taxicabs
- In a nutshell:A working suburb
I got a chicken pita at the airport for lunch. I usually got pizza or something like that when I was waiting for my... more travel advice
This is an Italian restaurant primarily known for their pizza. They also do delivery, which was important as I didn't... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Des Plaines Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Des Plaines
- Hotels in Des Plaines
- Transportation in Des Plaines
- Restaurants in Des Plaines
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Des Plaines
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Des Plaines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Des Plaines
Photos in Des PlainesSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues