"Job Training" Des Plaines by grandmaR

Des Plaines Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 18 photos

From 1987 to 1999, I was often sent to the OSHA Training Institute (OTI) in Des Plaines for job training. The picture has two of the Student Guide that each course gave us, that I decorated with magic markers or highlighters when I was bored in class.

I had to stay in a hotel that offered transportation to and from the Institute and had government rates, because I wouldn't get reimbursed for a rental car or rates that were more than a certain amount. I was allowed various amounts for food on my expense account, and always tried to keep my food expenses below those numbers.

Some of the hotels (and restaurants) are not actually in Des Plaines, but are in Schiller Park or Rosemont (although those are often more expensive), or Elk Grove or other nearby suburbs.

Usually I went to the Jewel-Osco behind the Institute on the first day and bought lunch for that day and snacks.

Under the General tips, I will list my expenses for each trip as I find them.

If the trip was more than 3 or 4 days, I tried to do some sightseeing in the area. I've got pictures from Oak Park, downtown Chicago and the Chicago Aquarium in the appropriate places on VT.

I have records of the following trips at the moment:

Sept 1993 - Ergonomics
20-24 June 1994 - Lab Safety
1-5 April 1996
21-24 October 1996 - stayed at the Hampton Inn
20-24 October 1997 - Stayed at the Doubletree Club Hotel at O'Hare
2-5 April 1998 - Confined Spaces

There were other course that I haven't found the records for yet.

• Pros:Lots of services for travelers
  • Cons:Expensive, especially taxicabs
  • In a nutshell:A working suburb
  • Last visit to Des Plaines: Dec 1998
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2003

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Des Plaines

Have you been to Des Plaines?

Latest Activity in Des Plaines