"Trembling Earth and Pogo the Possum" Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge by grandmaR
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 66 photos
There are five entrances to the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge:
East Entrance - Camp Cornelia, Suwannee Canal (USFWS).
Secondary East Entrance - Kingfisher Landing (USFWS).
West Entrance - Stephen C. Foster State Park (USFWS and State of Georgia).
Secondary West Entrance - Suwannee River Sill (USFWS).
North Entrance - Okefenokee Swamp Park (Non-profit organization).
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge was established by Executive Order in 1936.
The Okefenokee Swamp covers 438,000 acres. It is 38 miles in length at its longest point by 25 miles in width at its widest point. The swamp is approximately 700 square miles.
The Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge is over 402,000 acres. The wilderness area consists of 353,981 acres and was created by the Okefenokee Wilderness Act of 1974 which is part of the Wilderness Preservation System.
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge is the largest National Wildlife Refuge in the eastern United States. It is administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service which is under the Department of the Interior.
Eight habitat types occur in the Okefenokee Swamp:
Shrub swamp (34%)
Mixed cypress forest (23%)
Pure cypress forest (9%)
Swamp islands (8%)
Blackgum forest (6%)
Bay forest (6%)
Major steps of swamp succession are: open lake, prairie, shrub forest, and then tree forest.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THIS IS A BIG SWAMP!"
- "Trembling Earth and Pogo the Possum"
- "Basaic Okefenokee NWR Page"
- "alligators, not all that scarey!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
- Restaurants in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
- 1 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
Photos in Okefenokee National Wildlife RefugeSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues