"In the Bend of the River" Isle of Hope by grandmaR
Isle of Hope Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 3 photos
Established as a retreat in the 19th century for the elite of Savannah, Isle of Hope provided a refuge from the intense heat and outbreaks of malaria prevalent throughout the summer months. Originally owned by Henry Parker, the land was divided into lots in the 1850s and 1860s. These were sold to prominent Savannah families who built palatial homes along the water. A small African American settlement in the district dates from after the Civil War when freed slaves from Wormsloe Plantation settled in the town. In 1871 a railroad was built connecting Savannah with Isle of Hope and by the early 20th century many residents were living in the town year-round. The historic district encompasses a large area extending back from the Skidaway River. Landscaped with old oak trees covered in Spanish moss, the houses range in style from Greek Revival, Victorian, and Neoclassical to Craftsman Bungalows. Many of the residences also have both formal and informal gardens.
Location: Chatham County, Georgia (GA), United States, North America
Isle of Hope , resort town (1990 pop. 1,400), Chatham co., E Ga., 6 mi/9.7 km SSE of Savannah, near the Atlantic; 31°58'N 81°03'W.
The population for Isle Of Hope, Georgia is approximatly 2605. The total amount of households in Isle Of Hope, Georgia is 1001. With 2605 people of the population in these households. The average household size is 2.60.
2353 people in Isle Of Hope, Georgia are part of a family. The average family size in Isle Of Hope is 3.00 people.
There are 583 married families in Isle Of Hope, Georgia
grandmaR's Related Pages
Isle of Hope Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isle of Hope
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Isle of Hope?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Hope
Photos in Isle of HopeSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues