"Out of the Mists of Time" Fort Pulaski National Monument by grandmaR
Fort Pulaski National Monument Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 51 photos
After we visited Savannah, we continued on to Fort Pulaski, intending to go afterwards and take a picture of the Tybee Island light. But while we were having a ranger talk, the weather changed from warm (Bob is walking up to the fort with no coat.) to cold and fog descended on the countryside. So we aborted our mission, and went on back to Hilton Head.
This plaque is intended to explain what direction to look in for various points of interest. Starting on the left, the first place is Daufuskie Island, and then proceeding toward the right is Hilton Head Island (where we came from), Atlantic Ocean (straight ahead), Tybee Island and on the extreme right South Channel. The Atlantic Ocean arrow also points to the drainage ditches which were put in under Robert E. Lee when he was a new officer out of West Point.
For additional pictures, check out the travelogues.
- In a nutshell:National Monument
Robert E. Lee was here as an engineer right out of West Point, and put in the drainage ditches to stabilize the fort.... more travel advice
JOHN WESLEY (1703-1791) With the establishment of the new Province of Georgia in 1732, Cockspur Island also came under... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fort Pulaski National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Fort that Lee Built"
- "Out of the Mists of Time"
- "Fort Pulaski Virtual Tour"
- "Basaic Fort Pulaski Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Pulaski National Monument
- 11 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (192)
Have you been to Fort Pulaski National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Pulaski National Monument
Photos in Fort Pulaski National MonumentSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues