"Beaches and Reaches" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumberland Island by grandmaR
Cumberland Island Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 153 photos
Cumberland Island is the largest and southernmost barrier island in the Georgia sea island chain and it is skirted on the east by an unbroken fringe of Atlantic coastal beach. Most of the island is included in the Cumberland Island National Seashore, but some of the people who had property on the island when it was made into a National Park retain the rights to live on the island for their lifetimes.
Up until 2011, we had not visited Cumberland Island - only seen it from our boat. In 2004 we almost made it, but it was spring break and the ferry was all booked, and Bob decided we needed to leave before there would be a space.
So when we decided to drive south in 2011, I made sure we got here to Cumberland Island National Seashore
This is a range marker. Two range markers are installed so that when we have them lined up right behind one another, we are in the deepest part of the channel.
An area of the water which is controlled by a range is commonly called a Reach. There are a lot of reaches on the waterways around Cumberland Island. Some of them are in the St. Mary's River on the south side, but many more of them go up the west side of the island past the King's Bay Submarine Base.
- Pros:Reverting to Nature
- Cons:Limited access and no stores
- In a nutshell:Ruins and Beaches
At the end of our tour, we went through the lighthouse museum and then just hung out around the dock and talked to other... more travel advice
Other than one armadillo that we saw, some birds, and the wild horses (and other tourists), most of the living things... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Cumberland Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beaches and Reaches"
- "What a beautiful island!!"
- "NATURE, HISTORY OR THE BEACH .... YOUR CHOICE"
- "Getting Away"
- "Cumberland Island"
- "luv2learn's Cumberland Island Page"
- "Cumberland Island National Seashore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cumberland Island
- Hotels in Cumberland Island
- Transportation in Cumberland Island
- Nightlife in Cumberland Island
- Restaurants in Cumberland Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cumberland Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cumberland Island
- 15 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to Cumberland Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cumberland Island
Photos in Cumberland IslandSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 50 reviews, 274 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 58 reviews, 263 photos, 7 travelogues