"One of the Winter Places in Florida" Top 5 Page for this destination Winter Haven by grandmaR
Winter Haven Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 153 photos
In the 1950s and 1960s, Winter Haven was the site of Cypress Gardens, the water ski capitol of the world. I visited with my parents in 1954. I visited again in the mid 1960's with my children.
The water ski shows started in 1943, while Dick was serving in WWII. When soldiers on leave saw a local newspaper photo of a water skier, they mistakenly believed Cypress Gardens featured a "water show." Mrs. Pope quickly assembled her children and friends to perform for the men, and word-of-mouth attracted 800 soldiers the following weekend. The show and Gardens flourished through the 1950s.
I remembered it so fondly that we came again in 2007, only to find that Cypress Gardens was no more. The classic Florida tourist attraction, is gone forever, replaced by a Legoland in 2011.
Now, Winter Haven is a community of more than 34,000 people, located in Central Florida between Tampa and Orlando. The gentle rolling hills of Polk County and 45 fresh-water lakes touch or are contained within the City limits. Twenty-four of the lakes are connected by a system of navigable canals better known as "The Chain of Lakes"
The original restaurant opened in Atlanta was T.J. Applebee's Rx for Edibles & Elixirs. It was sold to W.R. Grace and... more travel advice
Originally I wanted to stay here and visit the Winter Haven-Lake Wales area, but we had car trouble and were stuck in... more travel advice
Written Nov 26, 2006
Written Mar 29, 2007
Winter Haven - Revisited
grandmaR's Related Pages
Winter Haven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF CYPRESS GARDENS"
- "One of the Winter Places in Florida"
- "Definetly a Winter Haven"
- "Randall_Burt's new Winter Haven Page"
- "winter haven florida"
- "Cypress Gardens"
- "Winter Haven & Legoland, Florida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winter Haven
- Hotels in Winter Haven
- Nightlife in Winter Haven
- Restaurants in Winter Haven
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Winter Haven
- 4 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Winter Haven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winter Haven
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: Driving from SFO to Yosemite"
- Wrote a Review It's "Neighborhood..." it is country-wide in Winter Haven Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "It's "Neighborhood..." it is country-wide"
- updated a Winter Haven Travel Page "One of the Winter Places in Florida"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Winter Haven hotel reviews
- Best Western Park View Hotel
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Lakmar Motel Winter Haven
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 20, 2013
- Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven (1300 3rd St. Southwest.)
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Lake Roy Beach Inn
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Winter Haven-days Inn Near Cypress Gardens
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Holiday Inn WINTER HAVEN-CYPRESS GARDEN, F
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Budget Inn of Winter Haven
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Hampton Inn Winter Haven
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013