"Mythical Mermaids" Weeki Wachee by grandmaR

Weeki Wachee Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 126 photos

When I was 16 with a brand new driver's license, my parents, my sister and I drove our new 1954 green Ford station wagon to Florida. We stayed with our former ice skating instructors at their Figure 8 Motel in Jacksonville, and went to a lot of the attractions which were at that time in central Florida, including Silver Springs, Lake Wales, Tarpon Springs and Weeki Wachee.

Then after I was married with two children, when my husband Bob was stationed in Key West for three years, we took another trip to the west coast and central Florida, where we again stopped at Weeki Wachee. I looked at my slides of that trip, and wanted to see the show again, so I made time for a stop when we were on our way from Gulf Shores Alabama to Miami.

We spent the night in Ocala and got to Weeki Wachi about 10 when it opened (it is about 75 miles from Ocala). It was really cold (comparatively speaking. First we went on a boat ride and saw lots of birds, and then we went for the mermaid show. I've put the pictures on the travelogues along with the ones I took in 1967 when we visited with with our two daughters.

From here we went to Miami and then flew to the Dominican Republic.

• Last visit to Weeki Wachee: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 10, 2011

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM

We're going to visit Weeki Wachee tomorrow. I would love to have seen it in its prime years. Nice page, thanks.

• Erin09340's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 11:13 AM

When I was a girl I wanted to be a Weeki Wachee mermaid.

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Weeki Wachee

Have you been to Weeki Wachee?

Latest Activity in Weeki Wachee