"Titusville - The Space Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Titusville by grandmaR
Titusville Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 246 photos
The first U. S. Post Office was not established in what was then known as Sand Point until 1859. Confederate Col. Henry Theodore Titus arrived in the area in 1867.
According to stories about the town, "Titusville" might have been known as "Riceville" if Col. Titus had not won a challenge match of dominoes against Capt. Clark Rice to determine which player got to rename the town. Thus the outcome of a domino game resulted in Sand Point becoming Titusville, Florida in 1873. Titusville was incorporated in 1887.
Col. Titus came to Sand Point with the idea of building a town on land owned by his wife Mary which overlooked the Indian River on Sand Point. They built the first hotel where they first stepped ashore and named it "The Titus House". The Colonel and Mary donated land for the first courthouse, four churches, laid out many of the town's streets, and established a link to the outside world by connecting the St. Johns and Indian Rivers with mule-drawn wagons.
In the 1880s, Titusville became site for commercial shipments of the famous Indian River Citrus from Dummitt Grove. Titusville's first railroad station was constructed in 1892.
Shortly after the turn of the century focus was on construction of schools, roads and a bridge across the Indian River to make it possible for easy access to Playalinda and Desoto Beaches. A water system was installed and stormwater drainage systems were installed.
Titusville was deeply affected by the burst of the Florida Boom in the mid 1920s and the economic depression of the 1930s.
During World War II many enemy ships were sunk off nearby beaches. Hundreds of landing craft were built at a plant located at the yacht basin. A Navy fighter field was also established just south of Titusville which today is known as Space Coast Regional Airport.
In the 60's with the Kennedy Space Center came the accompanying boom which produced the first motels, the first multi-rise apartment building, a public hospital, shopping centers, new golf courses, churches, and sub-divisions.
- Pros:Near Kennedy Space Center
- In a nutshell:3-2-1 A Countdown and an Area Code
We stopped at about 11:30 at Denny's for lunch. Bob picked where we stopped this time. We had gone 133 miles. Bob got a... more travel advice
After lunch, we tried to follow the walking trail by car, and the first stop was also the Space Walk of Fame which was a... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Titusville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Titusville - The Space Coast"
- "titusvlle florida"
- "Titusville Page"
- "Randall_Burt's new Titusville Page, NASA. KSC."
- "Titusville Gateway to the Space Coast"
- "mcharlton's new Titusville Page"
- "titusville- the friendly town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Titusville
- Hotels in Titusville
- Transportation in Titusville
- Restaurants in Titusville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Titusville
- 22 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Titusville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Titusville
- updated a Titusville Travelogue "Part 14 - March 15, 2002 - Titusville"
- Posted in Travel Key West Forum "Re: Casablanca at Bogarts"
- Uploaded a Photo to "7-9 January 2005 Titusville History"
- Wrote a Review Convenient to I-95 in Titusville Restaurants
- Commented on one of travel10000's Titusville travel pages
Photos in TitusvilleSee All Photos (156)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues