"2001, February 1-3 Ocean Side of Stock Island" Stock Island by grandmaR
Stock Island Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 29 photos
#1 Pin is in the marina
#2 Pin is at the beginning of the entrance channel to Oceanside Marina via water.
#3 points to the red frame which you can get to enlarge on the Oceanside website (see Sports tip). The actual location of the three is near where we anchored the first night in January 2001.
January 31 Wednesday - return from the Marquesas.
Bob pulls the anchor and we motor in very light winds. There is a little haze, but the water is clear. I see a lot of upside down jellyfish and Portuguese Man of Wars. I try to call Oceanside marina, but the phone can't make the connection.
Eventually the call goes through and we and get a slip. It is expensive, but water, electricity and cable is included.
As we pulled into the slip, Bob wrenched his knee again trying to turn his foot on the nonskid of the deck. I ask the dock master if I can download e-mails and he says OK. I have 349 e-mails and it takes a bit longer than my estimate of 5 minutes!!
Bob does the laundry and the washer takes his money and refuses to work, so he has to walk up for a refund on his sore knee. The dryers (stacked) work well.
Because Bob's knee is painful, we call and get pizza from Dominos. I go to pay him, but somehow miss him and when I get back to the boat, Bob has already eaten his half of the pizza. I talked to the gate guard and he recommended the Rusty Anchor as a restaurant.
Bob has a hard time finding a comfortable position to sleep in.
Thursday, February 1, 2001 Bob does some chores on the boat - fills up the water, renews the cetol on the wood, etc. He talks to the folks on the trimaran who have come back. It is hot. The guy from the live-aboard list comes by. He has sold his Key West house and is moving back to NC. I've called him several times and asked him for phone numbers, so he brings me a new Keys phone book, which he doesn't need. While he is talking to George (from the trimaran), I come out and sit down on the deck and get wet cetol on my good slacks. Ack.
The folks on the trimaran have a van (they drove down from NC) and we drive out to lunch. First we try to find the Rusty Anchor and can't. Eventually we end up at a fancy place on Roosevelt Blvd. I have ribs and the others have coconut chicken. It's very good.
When we get back, I call our Miami daughter, but she is about ready for bed and says to call tomorrow.
Friday, February 2 - we get underway a little after 8. There is very little wind. We motor sail and motor. We are heading for Marathon
There's not too much to see on Stock Island. About the only things I know of on the island are businesses, a marina,... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Stock Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "2001, February 1-3 Ocean Side of Stock Island"
- Create a Stock Island Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Stock Island
- 3 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (517)
Have you been to Stock Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stock Island
Photos in Stock IslandSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues