"Current and Cold Water in February" Sombrero Key by grandmaR
Sombrero Key Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 4 photos
Sombrero Light is located roughly five miles south of the eastern end of the 7-mile bridge near Marathon. It is only possible to visit by boat and it is not open to the public. A distant view is possible from the eastern (Marathon) end of the 7-mile bridge.
The lighthouse has a number of moorings for dive boats or private boats. We took the big boat out and hooked up on a mooring so I could take a look at the prop and the zincs (zincs protect the prop from electrolysis in the sea water). There was a good bit of waves and current and the water was COLD, so I didn't stay in very long.
Sombrero Light is a weather station for NOAA. You can check the weather observations at Sombrero Key.
Sombrero Key itself no longer exists as it has succumbed to erosion.
Under fun facts, one of the websites on the lighthouse says:
"The keepers of Sombrero Key Reef Light have had more accidents than any other lighthouse in Florida." At least four former keepers drowned at the reef.
That doesn't sound to me like it was such fun.
From Captain Pip's website (they rent boats to people for the day) Reef mooring buoys eliminate the need to drop anchor... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Sombrero Key Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sombrero Key
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Sombrero Key?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sombrero Key
Photos in Sombrero KeySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues