"Tram Tour To The Tower" Shark River Island by grandmaR
Shark River Island Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 11 photos
Shark Valley is located on the northern edge of the park 35 miles west of Miami on U.S. Highway 41 (the Tamiami Trail). It is a section of the Everglades which is isolated (by car) from the rest of the park. It features the sawgrass expanse of the Shark River Slough with islands of tropical hardwood hammocks dotting the landscape. The Shark River Slough is an extensive freshwater slough that flows from Lake Okeechobee (north of the park) to the southwestern coast of Florida.
The Ten Thousand Islands in this area can be explored only by boat, canoe, or kayak. A concessionaire downstairs from the ranger station offers interpretive boat tours through the islands.
The general Shark Valley area is perhaps what most visitors think of when they think of the everglades, as it is surrounded by a seemingly eternity of sawgrass in all directions. Alligators and wading birds often come within feet of visitors, and occasionally, a lazy alligator will block the road.
You can walk, bicycle, or do as we did and take a two-hour tram ride to an observation tower overlooking the sawgrass marsh midway around a paved loop trail.
At the point in the Shark Valley tram road where it turns back north there is the Shark Valley Observation Tower, a sixty five foot tower that overlooks the sawgrass prairie to the south.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Shark River Island Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shark River Island
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Shark River Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shark River Island
Photos in Shark River IslandSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues