Pensacola Restaurant Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination

Pensacola Restaurants: 61 reviews and 60 photos

Sign on the roof - Pensacola

Sign on the roof

Sonny's Real Pit BBQ: Quick Lunch

Floyd "Sonny" Tillman and his wife, Lucille, founded Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q in Gainesville, Florida. The year was 1968. We first came across Sonny's when we ate lunch in the Tallahassee area on the way down to Fort Walton Beach. But there's two of them in Pensacola too.

One of them is up by the highway

I-10 Exit 7
8313 Chellie Road
Pensacola, FL 32526
Store Number: 850-944-6633

Favorite Dish: But we went to the one on Navy Blvd near the base.

They had an interesting salad bar (photo 2), but we stuck to the regular menu Bob had a soup and salad, and I had the pulled pork with no fries and a slice of cornbread. The whole bill was a little over $12.

Address: 630 Navy Blvd.

• Updated Feb 12, 2008
Acme Oyster and Fish House at night - Pensacola

Acme Oyster and Fish House at night

Acme Oyster: Next To The Fish House

I asked the people at the Navy Lodge what was a good place for dinner, and they recommended the Fish House downtown. I was doubtful because previously we had eaten lunch at Atlas Oyster and thought it was kind of yuppie and expensive. In fact the Fish House and Atlas Oyster are owned by the same people and have virtually identical menus.

The Fish House had a 20 minute wait, but Atlas Oyster had free tables. So we ate at Atlas. Atlas Oyster was just as I remembered. Expensive. They had sushi - not exactly down home cooking. They served things in big square plates. They had projection TVs on the wall with old time photos and some movie clips in a rotation. Service was a bit slow.

Favorite Dish: Bob had the soup of the day and raw oysters, which he said were good, although a lot more expensive than the ones he had in Panama City. I had the special, which included a salad and fish served on top of mashed potatoes with a piece of chicken on top. Then I had Creme Brulee for dessert.

Comparison: more expensive than average

Price: US$21-30

Theme: Seafood

• Updated Feb 12, 2008
decor in the restaurant - Pensacola

decor in the restaurant

Cubi Bar Cafe: An Exhibit Where You Can Get A Meal

We went to eat lunch in the Cubi Bar Cafe in the museum. This is very convenient if you are in the museum, and is all decorated with the logos of the various squadrons.

Favorite Dish: I had a chicken salad sandwich ($5.50) which came with chips and cole slaw, and a root beer float ($3.00) which came in a cup that I could take home.

Bob had a half sandwich (tuna on rye) and a cup of chicken noodle soup for $5.75 which came with carrot and celery sticks and crackers, and a plain root beer which was $1.50.

Comparison: about average

Theme: Local

• Updated Jan 14, 2008
Good Buffet - Pensacola
Barnhills: Good Buffet

For dinner, we drove out along Navy Blvd and I saw a billboard for Barnhills, which I wanted to try. Oops - there were three places where the right hand lane had to turn right and we were shunted off Navy Blvd at least once. Then I saw a Barnhills sign near the road, but it looked like there wasn't anything there - that it was a construction zone. We drove farther out and didn't find anything so we turned around and came back. This time, I saw the restaurant, which was mostly covered with scaffolding.

Favorite Dish: Barnhills is a buffet All-You-Can-Eat place which is economically feasible for us. Senior (over 60) dinners are $7.29 @, so even with drinks it was less than $19 for the two of us to eat. There are no big beef entrees here. There are various kinds of salad (Caesars, tossed salad with add-ons like olives, chopped hardboiled eggs, grated cheese, and tomatoes, seafood salad, pasta salad, carrot and raisin salad, apple/raisin/marshmallow/coconut salad -which I really liked), biscuits, rolls, fried chicken, chicken fingers, chicken livers (which Bob couldn't find) green beans, collards, fried okra, fish, pork chops, ham, mac and cheese, and a whole bunch of jello, pudding, soft ice cream, cakes and pies for dessert

Comparison: less expensive than average

Theme: Buffet

• Written Mar 23, 2006

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Pensacola

Have you been to Pensacola?