"Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle" Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola by grandmaR
Pensacola Travel Guide: 252 reviews and 565 photos
Right after our marriage in June 1959, Bob was sent to Pensacola to start Navy pilot training. He started in the first July 1959 class. This is the graduation ceremony.
This picture shows him in his working uniform on the unpaved road next to our first apartment on the NW side of the city. (My mom came to visit and she took this picture.) The road was made of reddish clay, and so when I washed and starched his summer dress white uniform (top picture), the dust from the road turned it pink.
So our first crisis. We decided that it would be more cost effective to have the whites done at the base laundry. I could do the khaki uniforms myself. I even tapered the shirts so that they would fit nicely.
From December 1959 until June 1960, I worked in Pensacola High School as a permanent substitute. Because Bob had to be at work really early, and got done several hours before I would get back from my work to pick him up, we got a second car - a 1949 Plymouth. The one pictured is a 1959 Ford station wagon that my grandfather paid the down payment and first year payments as a wedding present.
After the basic flight training, he was transferred from NAS (Naval Air Station) Pensacola to NAS Whiting Field near Milton Florida. So that he wouldn't have so far to commute, we moved to Avalon Beach.
After that we moved to New Iberia Louisiana for him to finish up his training.
I asked the people at the Navy Lodge what was a good place for dinner, and they recommended the Fish House downtown. I... more travel advice
We went to find Fort Barrancas, to take the 2 p.m. tour. In front of the fort was the Water Battery, which was initially... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Pensacola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "pensacola florida"
- "Pensacola: City, Beach, Childhood Home"
- "Eva's Pensacola and Pensacola Beach Page"
- "Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle"
- "Pensacola Beach"
- "Pensacola Florida"
- "3 1/2 Hours - and a world away - from New Orleans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pensacola
- Hotels in Pensacola
- Transportation in Pensacola
- Nightlife in Pensacola
- Restaurants in Pensacola
- Shopping in Pensacola
- Warnings and Dangers in Pensacola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pensacola
- 11 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (512)
Have you been to Pensacola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pensacola
- Posted in Travel Port Isaac Forum "Re: Traveling to Port Isaac from..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Living on the Gulf Coast"
- updated a Pensacola Travel Page "Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle"
- Wrote a Review Next To The Fish House in Pensacola Restaurants
- Commented on one of ForestqueenNYC's Pensacola travel pages
Photos in PensacolaSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues