"Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle" Top 5 Page for this destination Pensacola by grandmaR

Pensacola Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 565 photos

Right after our marriage in June 1959, Bob was sent to Pensacola to start Navy pilot training. He started in the first July 1959 class. This is the graduation ceremony.

This picture shows him in his working uniform on the unpaved road next to our first apartment on the NW side of the city. (My mom came to visit and she took this picture.) The road was made of reddish clay, and so when I washed and starched his summer dress white uniform (top picture), the dust from the road turned it pink.

So our first crisis. We decided that it would be more cost effective to have the whites done at the base laundry. I could do the khaki uniforms myself. I even tapered the shirts so that they would fit nicely.

From December 1959 until June 1960, I worked in Pensacola High School as a permanent substitute. Because Bob had to be at work really early, and got done several hours before I would get back from my work to pick him up, we got a second car - a 1949 Plymouth. The one pictured is a 1959 Ford station wagon that my grandfather paid the down payment and first year payments as a wedding present.

After the basic flight training, he was transferred from NAS (Naval Air Station) Pensacola to NAS Whiting Field near Milton Florida. So that he wouldn't have so far to commute, we moved to Avalon Beach.

After that we moved to New Iberia Louisiana for him to finish up his training.

• Last visit to Pensacola: Dec 1959
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2008

• BarryAir's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Goin to Pensacola next wensday and thursday...Barry in Louisiana (disaster area)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 5:40 PM

You were a great help to us tonight. My husband is going to a Navy reunion in Pens. and loves the idea of staying in a Navy lodge. Many thanks. Indeed.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 5:38 PM

My dad was a 90 day wonder during WWII. He married a Pensacola girl and I was born there in 1942. Have tried to move back recently, but it was just a tad too quiet for me. I have the fondest memories of Pensacola though.

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Pensacola

Have you been to Pensacola?