Miami Sports & Outdoors Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Miami Sports & Outdoors: 16 reviews and 30 photos
Granddaughter at bat 2005
Miami is baseball mad. My grandson has been going to the batting cage since he was 4 or 5 and playing on baseball teams - first coach pitch and now player pitch (and he's now taking pitching lessons)
It's possible to have a kid play baseball in Miami year round although summer is less attractive because of the heat.
Equipment: My daughter took her son to Hitter's Hangout (second photo)
Ultralight over Miami
When we were on a mooring at Rickenbacker Marina, there was an ultralight place right next to us at the end of the causeway. They did instruction and they have ultralights for sale (new or used)
15 hours of instruction costs $1820 prepaid. Their website says
The Ultralight Pilot License (ACS Aerodynamic Control Sea) issued through the USUA, takes approximately two weeks to complete, weather permitting, requiring 15 hours of ultralight flight. Within that time frame you will be given instruction in basic ultralight water handling including, plow, and step taxi procedures. The student will then start Basic Air Maneuvers, flying the ultralight aircraft straight level, "S" turns, climbs and descents, using power, collision avoidance through an effective scan, slow flight, and stall.
Equipment: They also do tours. Any one route is $70, two combined routes is $90, up to all 5 routes for $180
A Bayside / Cruise Ship Row / Star Island
B South Beach / Fisher Island / Virginia Key
C Key Biscayne - Lighthouse / Stiltsville
D Dinner Key / Coconut Grove / Vizcaya
E Brickell / Brickell Key / Downtown /
Address: 3401 Rickenbacker Cswy, Key Biscayne
Directions: Take the S.W. 25th Rd. exit 1A to Key Biscayne/Rickenbacker Cswy
Bear left at SW 26th Rd
Bear right at SE 26th Rd
Bear right at Rickenbacker Cswy - go 4.6 mi
Bear left and head toward Crandon Blvd
Turn left at Crandon Blvd
Phone: (305) 361-3909
Theme: Extreme Sports
Miamarina from the air
I had a hard time getting the name of Miamarina correct. It usually has plenty of space for transients (except during the boat show), and is the same price as Dinner Key. (as of 2003-2004 it is $1.85/ft/day or $25/ft/month). Plus Florida tax of course. In 2001 it was cheaper than Miami Beach, and much nicer. The price includes electricity, water and cable TV. It is also convenient to most stuff.
Florida residents who want to get a slip for a year can get a lower rate.
Bob used to walk over to the Sheraton to pick up a rental car before they tore it down. Now you could probably get Enterprise in downtown Miami to come and get you.
The marina has parking for slip renters. Bob doesn't think much of the showers though, so we are showering at our daughters. No internet connection there either, but I can do pocketmail with the pay phones. There is an internet cafe in the mall, and a wireless connection in Starbucks (also in the mall).
Equipment: They have concerts almost every night at the mall and 100 restaurants and shops. We could the hear concerts if we went on deck, but we don't have to listen to them if we go below. The boat does not appear to get as dirty as it did at Miami Beach. I would say it is no noisier than many other marinas. It's farther from the trains than Melbourne. There are planes flying overhead, and sometimes horns and sirens, but all-in-all, we like it pretty well.
Photo is of the marina from the air, and SV RosalieAnn in the marina in 2001, 2003 and 2005. There is also a picture I took coming in the entrance channel
Address: 401 BISCAYNE BOULEVARD, MIAMI
Directions: Latitude 25.47.00 N Longitude 80.11.00 W
At Statute Mile 1090 on the Atlantic ICW, just south of the Port of Miami Causeway and Dodge Island Bridge and opposite Marker 53.
Phone: (305) 579-6955
Entering the NASDAQ 100 Open
Theme: Sports Watching
Much of the boating in this area is done on little trailerable power boats. Many of the saltwater ramps are located at Metro-Dade Park's Full-Service Marinas. The launch fee was $8.00 at all Dade parks and most were open Sunrise to Sunset although some allowed 24 hr. ramp access
Equipment: Location:Haulover Park, AIA between Sunny Isles and Bal Harbour.
Location: Pelican Harbor Marina, South side of 79 St Causeway in the middle of the Intercostal waterway
Location: Miami, Legion Park, From Biscayne Blvd. (US1) take NE 64 St. east to the bay.
Location: Miami, Morningside Park, From Biscayne Blvd. (US1) take NE 55 Terr. east to the bay and then drive south into the park.
Location: Japanesse Gardens /Watson Park/Watson Island. MacArthur Causeway (41), N. side.
Location: Crandon Park Marina, Take Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne. Located at Bear Cut Bridge, third from the mainland.
Location: Seminole Ramp, Dinner Key Marina, Coconut Grove.
Location: Mathison Hammock Park. South of N. Kendall Dr. on Old Cutler Creek Rd.
Waterway: South Biscayne Bay
Location: Black Point Park, from Fla. Turnpike take Allapattah Rd. north to SW 248th St., then east to park entrance.
Location: Maceo Park, Miami. From the Dolphin Expressway (836), turn South on Red Road (NW 57 Ave.), then East on NW 7 St. to NW 51 Ave., turn left into the park.
Waterway: Miami Airport Lakes (C-4)
Location: From Kendal Dr. take SW 99 Ct. North to Snapper Creek Dr. N., east after the bridge, Coral Gables
Waterway: Snapper Creek Canal (C-2)
Location: Cutler Ridge From SW 216 St (Hanlin Mill Rd.) just east of the Turnpike Ext., turn south on SW 102 Ave. south-west on Old Cutler Rd. for about 50 yds., then east on SW 224 Street. The road turns south on SW 97th Ave for about 1 mile until you cross the canal. Take the dirt road on the south side of the canal back west to the ramp.
Waterway: Black Creek (C-1)
Location: The Falls Shopping Mall. From US 1 go west on SW 136 St. then south over the canal on SW 92 Ave. Come back east approx. 1/4 mile on the dirt road on the south side of the canal to the SFWMD structure.
AA Arena from Miamarina
American AIrlines Arena is right by Bayside and Miamarina. In addition to being the home of the Miami Heat (which I understand is a basketball team), they also have a lot of concerts there.
While we were there in March there were two Miami Heat games, a Britney Spears concert and Disney on Ice.
Directions: From the South:
I-95 North to NW 2nd Street.
Go north to NW 5th Street and turn right.
Follow the signs to AmericanAirlines Arena
Phone: (305) 263-5406
Theme: Sports Watching
More Reviews (50)
- See All Built Your Own Stirfry
- See All Standing In Lines
- See All Chihuly at Fairchild
- Trees, Flowers and Tropical Lagoons
- See All Not Really AT the Falls
grandmaR's Related Pages
Miami Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UNdER CONSTRUCTION - CHECK BACK LATER"
- "Miami - Escape from Winter Weather"
- "miami florida"
- "cobrioc's Miami Beach Florida Page"
- "MIAMI: ALWAYS A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART"
- "M I A M I"
- "Best city in the US"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Miami
- Hotels in Miami
- Transportation in Miami
- Nightlife in Miami
- Restaurants in Miami
- Shopping in Miami
- Warnings and Dangers in Miami
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lima Sports & Outdoors
- Canary Islands Sports & Outdoors
- Torino Sports & Outdoors
- AJAX - Arena
- Eilat Sports & Outdoors
- Santo Domingo Sports & Outdoors
- St. Croix Sports & Outdoors
- Pulau Pangkor Sports & Outdoors
- Bacolod City Sports & Outdoors
- Lauterbrunnen Sports & Outdoors
- Flensburg Sports & Outdoors
- Liverpool Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in Miami
- 56 Reviews
- 248 Photos
- 32 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Miami?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Miami
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Expanded map?"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Miami tips
- Wrote a Review Built Your Own Stirfry in Miami Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Built Your Own Stirfry"
- updated a Miami Travelogue "Trip with my grandson - Start - To and from Miami"
- Uploaded a Video to Miami
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Miami hotel reviews
- Hotel Indigo Miami Dadeland
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Miami Airport West
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Midtown Inn
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- JW Marriott Marquis Miami
- 336 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- River Park Hotel & Suites Downtown/Convention Center
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Holiday Inn Miami - International Airport (North)
- 228 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Springhill Suites By Marriott Miami Airport South
- 169 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- Ohana Hostel Miami Beach
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Banyan Tree Ranch House
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Feb 22, 2003
- Four Seasons Miami
- 474 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Miami West Doral
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West Doral
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Opera Suites & Marina
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2011
- Vizcaya Mansion- 19 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Bayside Market Place- 22 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Coconut Grove- 8 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Florida Keys- 7 Reviews, 9 Photos
- The Everglades- 13 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Down Town- 21 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Little Habana- 14 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Seaquarium- 15 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Metro Zoo- 13 Reviews, 26 Photos
- South Beach- 11 Reviews, 20 Photos
See All Miami Things to Do