"ICW Trip 2001 Leg 26 Melbourne" Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne by grandmaR

Melbourne Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 187 photos

December 5, 2001 - Titusville to Melbourne

Coming down the Indian River, Bob did quite a bit of sailing as there was a strong east wind. He likes to sail.

Took a photo of the Cocoa Beach water tower with the big flag on it. Some of the fixed bridges are in such bad shape at the bottom that you can see the rebar and wire mesh sticking out. One of them has apparently had the concrete painted at the bottom - whether to conceal new cement work or to cover up graffiti is hard to tell. I made lunch and when I came up to eat it, I spilled a whole glass of iced tea on myself.

We anchored about mile marker 920 behind Crab Point off Melbourne Beach about 1320. The wind was 10-20 knots from the east - we were as close to shore as we could get.

The wind gen was running and putting lots of amps into the batteries, so we ran the TV. The space shuttle was to go off at 5:19, so I turned up the TV loud while we ate dinner in the cockpit. We saw it come out over the trees, and then in between clouds. I got a pretty good picture with the digital camera. It was not as close as it would have been if we were still in Titusville, but I was glad to see it in person.

December 6, 2001

Bob pulled the anchor and I motored out of the anchorage. He started the refrigeration, and pulled out the jib and then cooked bacon for himself (I just had a bagel).

We passed a topsail schooner which was apparently being pushed along by a dinghy. We got through the shallow areas by Vero Beach - I didn't get a picture of the mooring field there. Bob had the sails out quite a bit.

Every time a power boat passed the depth sounder went crazy.

Next Fort Pierce

• Pros:Site of SSCA annual meetings
  • Cons:Noisy marinas
  • In a nutshell:Wide river for sailing and many places to anchor
  • Last visit to Melbourne: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 5, 2005

• Oct 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM

BELLA's is now out of business along with many restaurants in the Melbourne area due to the recession but the owner opened a new restaurant called Mezza Luna. CORAL BAY is forever shut down after building damage from the 2004 Hurricanes.

• May 16, 2008 at 9:34 AM

This location is CLOSED. Please visit us in Jensen Beach 772-334-1130

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 9:26 AM

oh wrong melbourne - lots of laughs

• Aug 7, 2007 at 7:04 PM

I quite like the special place in melbourne you have posted here. Thanks for the nightlife tips -Shane Melbourne Drink Specials

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2003 at 5:47 PM

Your intro regarding your sailing and the cooking and the shuttle launch, you make Melbourne sound interesting, and believe me, that's saying something! I grew up here so I can say this, hehehe! 1/2 a nanosecond is more than enough time to spend here! ;-)

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Melbourne

Have you been to Melbourne?

Latest Activity in Melbourne