"ICW Trip 2001 Leg 26 Melbourne" Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne by grandmaR
Melbourne Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 173 photos
Coming down the Indian River, Bob did quite a bit of sailing as there was a strong east wind. He likes to sail.
Took a photo of the Cocoa Beach water tower with the big flag on it. Some of the fixed bridges are in such bad shape at the bottom that you can see the rebar and wire mesh sticking out. One of them has apparently had the concrete painted at the bottom - whether to conceal new cement work or to cover up graffiti is hard to tell. I made lunch and when I came up to eat it, I spilled a whole glass of iced tea on myself.
We anchored about mile marker 920 behind Crab Point off Melbourne Beach about 1320. The wind was 10-20 knots from the east - we were as close to shore as we could get.
The wind gen was running and putting lots of amps into the batteries, so we ran the TV. The space shuttle was to go off at 5:19, so I turned up the TV loud while we ate dinner in the cockpit. We saw it come out over the trees, and then in between clouds. I got a pretty good picture with the digital camera. It was not as close as it would have been if we were still in Titusville, but I was glad to see it in person.
Bob pulled the anchor and I motored out of the anchorage. He started the refrigeration, and pulled out the jib and then cooked bacon for himself (I just had a bagel).
We passed a topsail schooner which was apparently being pushed along by a dinghy. We got through the shallow areas by Vero Beach - I didn't get a picture of the mooring field there. Bob had the sails out quite a bit.
Every time a power boat passed the depth sounder went crazy.
Next Fort Pierce
- Pros:Site of SSCA annual meetings
- Cons:Noisy marinas
- In a nutshell:Wide river for sailing and many places to anchor
I have not been to Conchy Joe's except at lunch, but I photographed part of their drink menu which looked pretty... more travel advice
The zoo is about equa-distant from Cocoa and Melbourne. It is probably closest to Pineda. But it has the Melbourne... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Melbourne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "melbourne, florida"
- "Melbourne and its Burbs...."
- "Beach vacation one hour from ORLANDO"
- "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 26 Melbourne"
- "Melbourne, Center of the Space Coast"
- "Melbourne & Viera, Florida"
- "Welcome to Melbourne, FL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melbourne
- Hotels in Melbourne
- Transportation in Melbourne
- Nightlife in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Warnings and Dangers in Melbourne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melbourne
- 10 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Melbourne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melbourne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues