"The Parents of a "Conch"" Top 5 Page for this destination Key West by grandmaR
Key West Travel Guide: 2,042 reviews and 4,038 photos
One of the REAL Conchs is Mario Sanchez. In his 40s he started doing pictures of Key West as it was in his childhood. He carves the pictures and then paints them. He has signed some of the pictures which are on sale at the East Martello tower. My husband loves these pictures, so I bought him this signed print, and bought each of the children an unsigned print. The original pictures of course would be beyond my pocketbook.
In January 2001, when we were living on our sailboat on a mooring, we rented a car and drove down to the lighthouse, and parked, and I took pictures of it.
When we lived in Key West in 1968, I started painting in oils. My first picture was of the Key West lighthouse (which is right in town at 938 Whitehead St.). At the time I painted this picture, I was pregnant with my third child.
[She was later born at the Naval Hospital here on the island. We tell her that that makes her a Conch although Palla has humorlessly pointed out that really you can't be a conch until your family has been here for generations.]
We found a post card of the lighthouse before it was renovated in 1985, and it was cream/tan then just like my picture (inset). Now it is white.I also tracked down the Key West conch houses in the other picture I painted (opposite the park at the east end of Truman) and took pictures of them. You can't see them as well now - the trees have grown.
We returned to Key West in December 2001 for the 2001-2002 winter, but we didn't take a mooring this time but went into a marina at Boca Chica. We left for the
Bahamas in January 2002.
In the winter of 2003-2004, we were in a marina in Marathon and made the trip 'to town' about once a month. Last winter (2005), we come down by car and stayed on the Air Station for two weeks. I even climbed the lighthouse.
- Pros:water sports, easy to bike or walk around, lively
- Cons:crowded from cruise ships
- In a nutshell:The Conch Republic - a different place
In addition to the huge Renior sculpture out front, there are other realistic sculptures around outside the museum.... more travel advice
This is a shop run by the Key West Art and Historical Society. They have three shops-one at the Custom House, one at the... more travel advice
- See All Moped Hospital
- See All Tiny
- See All Condo
- See All Salty Environment
- See All White Street Pier
grandmaR's Related Pages
Key West Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Parents of a "Conch""
- "key west florida"
- "Where others have failed, Key West SECEDED"
- "Key West, Florida"
- "Key West Driving Trip May 3-12, 2003"
- "On the road to Key West & Fantasy Fest 2006"
- "The Key to my Heart; Key West, Florida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Key West
- Hotels in Key West
- Transportation in Key West
- Nightlife in Key West
- Restaurants in Key West
- Shopping in Key West
- Warnings and Dangers in Key West
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Key West
- 154 Reviews
- 547 Photos
- 123 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Key West?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Key West
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues