"The Parents of a "Conch"" Top 5 Page for this destination Key West by grandmaR
Key West Travel Guide: 2,067 reviews and 4,116 photos
One of the REAL Conchs is Mario Sanchez. In his 40s he started doing pictures of Key West as it was in his childhood. He carves the pictures and then paints them. He has signed some of the pictures which are on sale at the East Martello tower. My husband loves these pictures, so I bought him this signed print, and bought each of the children an unsigned print. The original pictures of course would be beyond my pocketbook.
In January 2001, when we were living on our sailboat on a mooring, we rented a car and drove down to the lighthouse, and parked, and I took pictures of it.
When we lived in Key West in 1968, I started painting in oils. My first picture was of the Key West lighthouse (which is right in town at 938 Whitehead St.). At the time I painted this picture, I was pregnant with my third child.
[She was later born at the Naval Hospital here on the island. We tell her that that makes her a Conch although Palla has humorlessly pointed out that really you can't be a conch until your family has been here for generations.]
We found a post card of the lighthouse before it was renovated in 1985, and it was cream/tan then just like my picture (inset). Now it is white.I also tracked down the Key West conch houses in the other picture I painted (opposite the park at the east end of Truman) and took pictures of them. You can't see them as well now - the trees have grown.
We returned to Key West in December 2001 for the 2001-2002 winter, but we didn't take a mooring this time but went into a marina at Boca Chica. We left for the
Bahamas in January 2002.
In the winter of 2003-2004, we were in a marina in Marathon and made the trip 'to town' about once a month. Last winter (2005), we come down by car and stayed on the Air Station for two weeks. I even climbed the lighthouse.
- Pros:water sports, easy to bike or walk around, lively
- Cons:crowded from cruise ships
- In a nutshell:The Conch Republic - a different place
When we lived in Key West in the 60s, this marina was full of shrimp boats and this was also where the turtle kraals... more travel advice
Key West isn't really a beach town - the beaches are man-made. But fishing, snorkeling and diving are good there because... more travel advice
- See All Hemingway House Book Store
- See All Outdoor Art
- See All Start the Night
- See All Moped Hospital
- See All CLOSED
- See All Condo
grandmaR's Related Pages
Key West Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Parents of a "Conch""
- "key west florida"
- "Key West, Florida"
- "Key West Driving Trip May 3-12, 2003"
- "Key West one of my favorite spots in North America"
- "The Key to my Heart; Key West, Florida"
- "Key West"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Key West
- Hotels in Key West
- Transportation in Key West
- Nightlife in Key West
- Restaurants in Key West
- Shopping in Key West
- Warnings and Dangers in Key West
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Key West
- 174 Reviews
- 680 Photos
- 130 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Key West?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Key West
- Posted in Travel Key West Forum "Re: Going to Key West for first..."
- updated a Key West Travel Page "The Parents of a "Conch""
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Key West tips
- grandmaR updated an itinerary Multi-faceted Key West.
- Uploaded a Photo to "Audubon Artifacts"
- Wrote a Review Dinghy Dock about Historic Seaport in Key West Things to Do
Photos in Key WestSee All Photos (680)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues