"Over the Toll Bridge" Key Biscayne by grandmaR
Key Biscayne Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 86 photos
This picture was taken from a little plane hopping from Miami to Nassau after my husband's heart attack in the Exumas as we were going back to get the boat to sail it home.
The big horse-shoe shaped area is the old Marine Stadium, which was destroyed during hurricane Andrew - they used to have boat races there. Now it is just a nice protected anchorage. This is actually an island called Virginia Key.
The bridge that is at the right is the Rickenbacker Causeway which is a toll bridge to Key Biscayne.
Right at the east end of the bridge (center of picture) on Virginia Key is Rickenbacker Marina where we had a mooring the winter of the previous year. Next to it is the Rusty Pelican restaurant, and an ultra light rental and instruction facility.
This is the old bridge, with a boat going through the draw span.
Farther out on the next island (Key Biscayne) is Crandon Park Marina, the village of Key Biscayne, the Bill Baggs State Park and the Cape Florida State Recreation Area, some lovely beaches, and the Miami Seaquarium.
- Pros:Nice beaches
- Cons:Toll bridge access
In 1967, we took the kids to the Crandon Park. They rode on the antique carousel, which first started spinning in 1950.... more travel advice
I have not been to the Seaquarium in quite a number of years. OPERATING HOURS • 9:30am - 6:00pm 7 Days a week Ticket... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Key Biscayne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Over the Toll Bridge"
- "Key Biscayne"
- "Key Biscayne the other Miami Beach"
- "Key Biscayne"
- "Anotherpath's new Key Biscayne Page"
- "themerg's new Key Biscayne Page"
- "key biscayne"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Key Biscayne
- Hotels in Key Biscayne
- Restaurants in Key Biscayne
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Key Biscayne
- 8 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Key Biscayne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Key Biscayne
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: Driving from SFO to Yosemite"
- Commented on one of damerow's Key Biscayne travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Miami Seaquarium"
- updated a Key Biscayne Travelogue "February 4-15 , 2001 Between the Keys and Bahamas"
- Wrote a Review Crandon Family Amusement Center in Key Biscayne Things to Do
Photos in Key BiscayneSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues