"Ft. Pierce - jumping off point" Fort Pierce by grandmaR
Fort Pierce Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 112 photos
I do not feel that I know Ft. Pierce at all, although I've been here many times in the last ten years. We've anchored once, stayed at marinas 5 times, and come in the inlet three times and gone out twice. We've walked up into town and done some shopping and gone to some local restaurants and gotten lost into an industrial section of town. We've even stayed here overnight once. But most of the time we've spent in the marinas.
So I looked up Ft. Pierce on the internet
Fort Pierce turned 100 years old on Feb. 2, 2001. It was originally an Army post established in 1838 when Lt. Col. Benjamin Pierce, the brother of Franklin Pierce, the 14th U.S. president, built a U.S. Army fort here during the Second Seminole War.
Early settlers depended on the river for trade and travel until the Florida East Coast Railway arrived in the late 19th century. The town grew slowly and had just under 2,000 residents by 1915.
World War II ended Fort Pierce’s solitude. From 1943-46 the city was the site of a Navy base that brought thousands of trainees to town.
Today, there is the new Manatee Observation and Education Center, the restored Old City Hall, and a brick-paved traffic circle that provides a new entrance to the city’s riverfront and marina. Restaurants, clubs and shops contribute to a thriving, colorful downtown.
Held the first Friday of each month in downtown Fort Pierce, Friday Fest never fails to draw a crowd. Nevertheless, Fort Pierce retains much of its old-Florida charm. Citrus packing houses abound and fine old homes line scenic Indian River Drive. Beautiful winter weather, lush tropical foliage and several miles of beaches attract thousands of "snowbirds" each year. Motorists crossing the bridge to South Beach get a panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian River Lagoon and the Fort Pierce Inlet.
Fort Pierce is the county seat of St. Lucie County and is the home of the main campus of Indian River Community College. Located 120 miles north of Miami, Fort Pierce is served by U.S. 1, Interstate 95 and the Florida Turnpike. The city’s current population is about 36,500.
- Pros:Lots of art and music
- Cons:Small city a bit off the beaten track
I wanted to book a hotel about half way between St. Mary's Georgia and Miami. Fort Pierce appeared to be it. We had... more travel advice
There are two tiki places right next to each other and right next to the Ft. Pierce Municipal Marana. A review of this... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fort Pierce Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ft. Pierce - jumping off point"
- "fort pierce, florida"
- "Running from Frances"
- "A quieter part of Florida"
- "Fort Pierce, an oasis of rest in wild wild Florida"
- "Rick_and_Lin's new Fort Pierce Page"
- "jwander's new Fort Pierce Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Pierce
- Hotels in Fort Pierce
- Nightlife in Fort Pierce
- Restaurants in Fort Pierce
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Pierce
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Pierce
- 15 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Fort Pierce?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Pierce
Photos in Fort PierceSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Fort Pierce hotel reviews
- Sleep Inn Fort Pierce
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Motel 6 Fort Pierce
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 7, 2013
- Dockside Inn & Resort
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Sandhurst Hotel Fort Pierce
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Fountain Resort
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Pierce Hotel
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013