"2000, December 07-08 Fort George River Anchorage" Fort George Island by grandmaR
Fort George Island Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 34 photos
The first year we went down the InterCoastal Waterway, we anchored in the Ft. George River. It is a nice anchorage, although busy with local fisherman until dark. It is just across the dune line from the ocean, although you can't go through to the ocean by boat although I think you could beach a dinghy and walk over. On the south side of the river are a mansion and grounds which can be toured.
This is my narrative from that trip:
We got away from the marina before 10:30. There is a lot of current going through the Kingsley Creek Bridge. Saw 3 or 4 dolphins porpoising lazily in the channel.
We hear a guy calling a fixed bridge and asking for an opening. Eventually someone gets on the radio and tells him that there is no one monitoring the radio on a fixed bridge (duh) and he can't get under it so he should get his clueless self back to the ICW.
Came into Sawpit Creek, and I went below and heated up Bob's seafood au gratin casserole from last night. He liked it better reheated. I ate my pot roast from Jekyll Island and the cheese fingers from last night.
Heard someone on the radio telling someone else that they were going on the wrong side of the green. Suddenly we were confronted with a big barge across the channel with an active dredging operation going on. It was over past the green side of the channel so we sidled cautiously past on the red side.
So far, north FL is not that different from south GA. Marsh grasses, gravel banks and clumps of trees, all sprinkled with gulls, cormorants, herons, pelicans and shallow water with occasional crab pots.
Absolutely clear sky, but the promised 10-15 knots from the NW hasn't materialized. It's warm enough for both bimini curtains to be up. Saw a whole flock of birds that looked a little different. Looked at them with binoculars, and I think they were white ibis.
As we come in the Fort George River past the big park on the south side of the river to anchor, people are out on the lawn pointing at us, and people periodically come out and look at us. We anchored after 19.7 miles at 5.3 mph for a total of 797 nautical miles since we left the Potomac.
LUNATIC II from Boston came in after us and anchored. A motor boat called VALKERIE, and a single hander from Maine also anchored. The Maine boat is too far away for me to see the name, as is a boat that anchors right at the end of the creek. There are a lot of little fishing boats, but most of them leave by sunset.
The boat at the entrance left early and fisherman came back into the creek starting at dawn. Started the engine at 7. There was a crab pot boat pulling pots and a gaggle of pelicans following him. Maybe he feeds them the old bait?
Bob has bought Santa hats for us to wear, but it is too hot, so we put them on the jib winches.
Next Saint Augustine
- In a nutshell:Off the beaten path
In 2000, as we come in the Fort George River past the big park (Kingsley Plantation) on the south side of the river to... more travel advice
In this area, State route A1A runs along the barrier islands, including Ft. George Island. From the ICW, we can see the... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fort George Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "2000, December 07-08 Fort George River Anchorage"
- "Jacksonville's Fort George Island"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort George Island
- 4 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to Fort George Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort George Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues