Florida Keys Warnings Or Dangers Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Florida Keys Warnings and Dangers: 14 reviews and 23 photos
Sign warning about not feeding the animals
In spite of this sign, people were tossing food scraps to the tarpon and pelicans. People like to see the animals come up close where they can see them.
But as the sign says, this is not good for the animals. DO NOT feed any processed foods that contain sugar, salt, spices, cooking oils, or flavorings. Examples of bad foods include flavored peanuts, granola bars, bread, table scraps, and Cheetos. The foods people can offer are not as healthy as the varied diet they would normally eat
Feeding birds and fish leads to:
* behavioral problems -- they lose their fear of humans and become aggressive; unnatural feeding encourages species that would never usually come into contact with humans to interact. This may result in serious injury and harm to individuals.
* malnutrition from eating foods with low or no nutritional value; birds or fish may stop natural feeding cycles which are important to ensure they are receiving the correct nutrients to survive.
* increased spread of disease;
For birds in particular,
* birds may be injured from swallowing hooks and nonfood items and by swallowing large fish bones which they cannot digest -- large fish bones can puncture a bird's pouch, get caught in the throat, and even puncture a bird's stomach;
* degradation of water quality (from concentrations of bird feces);
* parent birds who are dependent on humans for food and therefore cannot teach their own young proper foraging techniques to feed themselves.
Bob's Barricade Barrel
The road down the Florida Keys can be beautiful, and for the driver distracting. Accidents can block the road for many hours, and there often are construction projects along the way which also hold up traffic. Except for a short stretch in the upper keys where there is a toll road that parallels US 1, there is only one road in or out of the Keys. If there is an accident, you have to wait until it is cleared. I remember one day when a motorcycle ended up under a propane truck and traffic was stopped on the highway for four hours. My daughter's family came down from Miami in a boat and they got there faster that way than they would have in a car.
So build a little extra time into your trip, and it may also work to travel early in the morning or late at night.
[But I took the picture of the orange barrel because my husband's name is Bob]
This car is actually an exhibit outside a shop
Our intention when we went to Florida in our boat was to buy a Conch Cruiser. This is what people call a car which runs OK, but looks like it is on its last legs. In the salt environment of the Keys, the car bodies rust out before the engine goes.
But we found that in addition to the initial cost, plus registration fees, taxes and insurance we had to pay an additional Florida "gotcha" fee of $100.00 for the first vehicle registered in Florida.
"Section 320.072, Florida Statutes, requires a fee of $100 to be imposed upon the initial application for registration on certain motor vehicle registration transactions. Whether the vehicle is new or used doesn't matter. Basically, the fee is due on any private-use automobile, any lightweight truck, or any motor home unless the vehicle being registered is a replacement for a vehicle that has been disposed in the same category of vehicles."
That would mean that a car we bought for $700 would actually cost us about $1000, of which $300 for taxes, registration and one-time fee would be non-recoverable. We could rent a car for a week for about $145, once a month and for 3 months, that would be only about $450.00.
So we made do with bikes.
More Reviews (17)
- See All Aids to Navigation on the Hawk Channel...
- See All Watch for the Green Flash
- Truman White House
- Hides a Secret
grandmaR's Related Pages
Florida Keys Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flagler's Legacy"
- "Welcome to Paradise!"
- "The Keys - Caribbean Paradise"
- "The Travel Slut does the Upper Florida Keys"
- "Florida Keys"
- "Our Honeymoon to the Florida Keys!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florida Keys
- Hotels in Florida Keys
- Transportation in Florida Keys
- Nightlife in Florida Keys
- Restaurants in Florida Keys
- Shopping in Florida Keys
- Warnings and Dangers in Florida Keys
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mandeville Hotels
- Searsport Hotels
- Carouge Hotels
- Kampung Mercang Hotels
- Pulau Sebang
- Port Hueneme
- Yellowknife Warnings and Dangers
- Symi Warnings and Dangers
- Nuwara Eliya Warnings and Dangers
- Kalgoorlie Warnings and Dangers
- Chincoteague Warnings and Dangers
- High Prices
- Kenya Warnings and Dangers
- Samarkand Warnings and Dangers
- Kashgar Warnings and Dangers
- Put-in-Bay Warnings and Dangers
- Belmopan Warnings and Dangers
- A safe City you could fall in love with
Badges & Stats in Florida Keys
- 20 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Florida Keys?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florida Keys
Photos in Florida KeysSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
Latest Florida Keys hotel reviews