"Flagler's Legacy" Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Keys by grandmaR
Florida Keys Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 687 photos
The Florida Keys started out as a coral forest underwater about 120,000 BC. As water levels changed, some of the reef emerged from the water and became little islands. There appear to have been Indians living in the Keys between 1000 AD and 700 AD.
The origin of the word "Key" to refer to a small island is not really known. Some think that it began when the Spanish adapted the word "cayo' from the Taino Indians of Hispanola and Cuba. The English used "Cay" or "Kay" such as Cay Sal Banks. In some places, Cay is pronounced as the letter "K." In other places (like the Bahamas) Cay is pronounced like Key. The line of little islands or keys stretches from Key West to the Florida mainland - some 125 miles.
Key West was claimed by the United States in 1822, and by 1860 (in spite of the Seminole Wars and hurricanes), it was one of the richest cities per capita in Florida and by 1880 was the largest city in Florida.
But tourism as we know it received a tremendous boost from Henry Flagler when he extended his railroad down to Key West. Construction started in 1905 and the railroad was completed by 1912 just a year before Flagler's death. Pigeon Key, just west of Marathon (which was named by the railroad workers) was where the railroad workers were housed.
After the disasterous Labor Day hurricane of 1935, the railroad was sold and turned into a highway.
The mile markers on the Keys probably came about because Henry Flagler numbered every mile of railroad beginning at Jacksonville and ending at Key West. There were white and black concrete Mile Post signs along the railroad track and on the printed timetables. Now, the mile markers go the other way. If the MM's are getting smaller, one is traveling south or southwest. Note: the farther south in the Keys one is, the more east and west the highway runs. So instead of saying north or south (which isn't accurate), one more accurately says "up" or "down".
In spite of this sign, people were tossing food scraps to the tarpon and pelicans. People like to see the animals come... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
January 28-31, 2005 Everglades to the Keywest
Written Feb 20, 2013
grandmaR's Related Pages
Florida Keys Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flagler's Legacy"
- "Welcome to Paradise!"
- "The Keys - Caribbean Paradise"
- "The Travel Slut does the Upper Florida Keys"
- "Florida Keys"
- "Our Honeymoon to the Florida Keys!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florida Keys
- Hotels in Florida Keys
- Transportation in Florida Keys
- Nightlife in Florida Keys
- Restaurants in Florida Keys
- Shopping in Florida Keys
- Warnings and Dangers in Florida Keys
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florida Keys
- 20 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to Florida Keys?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florida Keys
- Posted in Travel Dominican Republic Forum "Re: Looking for a company to..."
- updated a Florida Keys Travel Page "Flagler's Legacy"
- grandmaR updated an itinerary Multi-faceted Key West.
- Wrote a Review Feeding the Fish or Birds in Florida Keys Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Feeding the Fish or Birds"
- Commented on one of TheConchMan's Florida Keys travel pages
Photos in Florida KeysSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues