"Off Limits" Fleming Key by grandmaR
Fleming Key Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
In this photo, the 3 round white tanks are on the CG base, but right past that is the Wastewater Treatment plant
Although this key still exists, it is not named on current charts, the name having been given instead to the new artificial land to the south.
U.S. Coast Survey Chart of 1855 (Key West Harbor and its Approaches) shows Fleming's Key. The U.S. Coast Survey Sketch F, of 1860, shows Fleming's as a very small key located to the north of Key West.
Fleming Key is now a key which consists entirely of filled land from the dredging of a WWII seaplane landing area. Charts drawn prior to its1942-1943 construction show only a large, shallow flat to the south of Fleming's Key.
Fleming Key is connected by a bridge to the north side of Key West. (shown)
This key used to be the 65th Artillery Hawk "Alpha" Battery site which was named the "Lt Eckwood Solomon HAWK missile site". The naming of all Key West HAWK missile sites, commemorated by a bronze plaque outside the ready building, were in honor of Key West citizens killed in Vietnam. Lt. Solomon, was killed near Pleiku, July 27, 1966. Solomon was born in Key West in 1940 and entered the Army in 1959. He was the first American to attend the Philippines Military Academy where he waas an honor graduate as well as number one in his class upon completion of OCS, Fort Sill, OK. Lt. Solomon was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal with V device for his actions on the battlefield.
The Alpha Battery tac site is now home to the US Army Special Forces underwater operations school. As such it is off limits to civilians.
I have put the narrative of our time in the mooring field in January 2001 under Fleming Key in order to have more space under Key West for other narratives. The mooring field is on the other side of the key from this anchorage
- In a nutshell:Off Limits
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fleming Key Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fleming Key
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (528)
Have you been to Fleming Key?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fleming Key
Photos in Fleming KeySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues