"No Flamingos in Flamingo" Flamingo by grandmaR
Flamingo Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 25 photos
At the turn of the century when plume hunting was a major source of cash income, Flamingo was a barely accessible, isolated town of 38 shacks resting on stilts; it showed little sign of growth or even survival.
In 1893, Leverett White Brownell, a visiting naturalist, wrote one of the few accounts of early Flamingo. He reported that the tiny town was infested with sand fleas and mosquitoes. (In fact, he witnessed an oil lamp extinguished by a cloud of mosquitoes.) He noted that tomatoes, asparagus and eggplant were the principal crops, and flea powder the staff of life.
The citizens had to chose a name for their town in order to establish a post office. Howell C. Low was appointed as the first postmaster of Flamingo on December 13, 1893. The name had nothing to do with attracting the tourism industry.
The 1910 federal census record shows 49 people living in Flamingo and Cape Sable. Most listed their profession as farming. There were ten heads of households, with 18 children and seven servants. Five people were cane farmers and one worked in charcoal making. (Charcoal was sold in 100 pound sacks at Key West.) Jobs that other individuals held were boatmen, farmer, hauling cane, cane farming (13) and one was retired
We also know from tradition that many, if not all, fished for cash and food. Most also hunted.
**FLAMINGO FACILITIES – Update, June 19, 2006** Concession services at Flamingo Marina in Everglades National Park are... more travel advice
This is the only real restaurant in the park. The only other possibility is the Buttonwood which is pizza and sandwiches... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Flamingo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flamingo, the southermost mainland city in Florida"
- "No Flamingos in Flamingo"
- "Basaic Flamingo Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flamingo
- Hotels in Flamingo
- Nightlife in Flamingo
- Restaurants in Flamingo
- Warnings and Dangers in Flamingo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tahquamenon Falls State Park Hotels
- Chicago Hotels
- Boston Hotels
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Sentul Hotels
- Phuket Hotels
- Long Valley Junction Hotels
- Guyana Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Islamabad Hotels
- Positano Hotels
- Saskatoon Hotels
- Islamorada Hotels
- Laoag City
- Cheras Hotels
Badges & Stats in Flamingo
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Flamingo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flamingo
Photos in FlamingoSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues