"First port in Florida, Fernandina Beach" Top 5 Page for this destination Fernandina Beach by grandmaR
Fernandina Beach Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 275 photos
We've been to Fernandina seven times - we've come here on each trip up and down the ICW.
The first visit was December 6, 2000 after a disasterous attempt to go offshore for the first time.
The second visit was coming north March 22, 2001.
We really enjoy this town when we've stopped and Bob thinks it is a good example of what a small town can do to attract tourists. Except for one thing ....
The third visit was at Thanksgiving of 2001. Everything closes on Thanksgiving day - none of the restaurants near the marina are open. We had to eat Thanksgiving dinner at the church with the rest of the homeless and boat people. I understand the restaurants also close on Mother's Day.
Our fourth visit was March 21, 2002 just 28 sm farther on from Jacksonville where we stayed for 2 days to wait out some weather. On the last night we ate at Florida House which is a hotel where they serve family style.
Next we went to Jekyll Island.
The fifth visit was this past fall in November 2003. Most of the narrative for this trip is under Amelia Island.
On our sixth visit, we came through by car in February 2005. We took a photo of the lighthouse, and ate lunch here on our way to Hilton Head Island.
Our last visit we stayed two nights, and visited Fort Clinch before going to Waycross GA via St. Simon's Island.
- Pros:small walkable town, friendly people
- Cons:Somewhat yuppie place and can be expensive
I have not eaten here at this restaurant. I took the picture because of the architecture which has been described as a... more travel advice
St. Peter's Episcopal Church stands on the northeast corner at Atlantic & Centre Streets. I've taken a lot of pictures... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fernandina Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nearly the Oldest Than Most Towns in US"
- "A Step Back In Time"
- "fernandina beach florida"
- "First port in Florida, Fernandina Beach"
- "Fernandina Beach, MY kind of beach town"
- "A quaint beach town on Amelia Island"
- "The Musicians"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fernandina Beach
- Hotels in Fernandina Beach
- Nightlife in Fernandina Beach
- Restaurants in Fernandina Beach
- Shopping in Fernandina Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Fernandina Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fernandina Beach
- 34 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (513)
Have you been to Fernandina Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fernandina Beach
- Posted in Travel Maryland Forum "Re: St. Michaels or Cambridge?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Churches on the Walking Tour"
- updated a Fernandina Beach Travelogue "2000, December 06-07 Florida at Last"
- Wrote a Review A Gingerbread Triumph in Fernandina Beach Restaurants
- Commented on one of 850prc's Fernandina Beach travel pages
Photos in Fernandina BeachSee All Photos (136)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues