"Okefenokee's River of Grass" Top 5 Page for this destination Everglades National Park by grandmaR
Everglades National Park Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 923 photos
Thanks to.Ernest F. Coe (for whom the Homestead Visitor's Center is named), Congress passed a park bill in 1934. Dubbed by opponents as the "alligator and snake swamp bill," the legislation stalled during the Great Depression and World War II. Finally, on December 6, 1947, President Harry S Truman dedicated the Everglades National Park.
In that same year, Marjory Stoneman Douglas first published "The Everglades: River of Grass."
Today, Everglades National Park is a World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Reserve.
The original "people of the Glades" (Tequestas and Calusas) established villages at the mouths of rivers, on offshore islands and on hammocks marked by huge shell mounds. But by 1800, slave raids and European diseases had reduced the people of the Glades to a handful of survivors.
At the end of the Seven Years' War in 1763 and the Spanish missionaries and soldiers departed and left South Florida to native bands of Creek and Muskogee Creek people who moved here after the Creek War of 1813-1814. Collectively, they became known by non-natives as Seminoles. They provided a haven for escaped slaves. In 1830, Congress decreed that all natives be relocated west of the Mississippi.
A number of Seminoles refused to leave and declared war on the U.S. Army. The Seminole Wars of 1835-1842 and 1855-1859 inflicted heavy losses on both sides, finally ending with an 1859 truce. After the battles ended, the 150 Seminoles that remained hid deep in the cypress stands and saw grass prairies. Today, descendants of that small band, now recognized as the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians of Florida, still live within Everglades
We first visited the Everglades when we lived in Key West in the late 60s. At that time, best section of the Everglades for seeing animals is the Anhinga Trail in the dry season (winter). It is still one of the best areas to see all the birds and animals in one small accessible place (the trail is paved and OK for wheelchairs)
Most people who come to the park want to see the animals, so I've listed the birds and animals that might be seen in the park with their bios under General Tips, and the Narrative of the 2005 trip is here with an addendum under Shark River .
I also have some information under Flamingo and I have a page for Mahogany Hammock.
- Pros:Up close and personal with the animals
- In a nutshell:Unique ecosystem
Due to 2005 Hurricanes (Katrina and Wilma), overnight Accommodations (Lodge & Cottages) are closed indefinitely. No date... more travel advice
Everglades Racer (Coluber constrictor paludicola) or Southern Black Racer which I saw at the Coe Visitor's Center.... more travel advice
- See All Flamingo
- Bike Shark Valley
- Night Classes
- See All No Services Since the Hurricanes
grandmaR's Related Pages
Everglades National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Everglades National Park Page"
- "Okefenokee's River of Grass"
- "Among the lushest national parks in the system"
- "everglades national park"
- "Everglades National Park by Kimberlyann"
- "The Everglades "River of Grass""
- "Everglades National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Everglades National Park
- Hotels in Everglades National Park
- Transportation in Everglades National Park
- Nightlife in Everglades National Park
- Restaurants in Everglades National Park
- Shopping in Everglades National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Everglades National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Everglades National Park
- 51 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Everglades National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Everglades National Park
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Re: Sending a suitcase."
- updated a Everglades National Park Travel Page "Okefenokee's River of Grass"
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Everglades National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Poisonwood or Hog Gum (Metopium toxiferum)"
- Wrote a Review Hurricane Damage in Everglades National Park Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Everglades National ParkSee All Photos (135)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues