"Ft. Jefferson on Garden Key" Top 5 Page for this destination Dry Tortugas National Park by grandmaR

Dry Tortugas National Park Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 285 photos

Trip to the Dry Tortugas on a sailboat

In January 2001, after three weeks in Key West, we decided to sail down to the Dry Tortugas. It took us two days to get there (we anchored for the night off the Marquesas) and we stayed for several days. We had a marvelous sail back.

We didn't get down to the Dry Tortugas after that, although we came down to the Keys twice more. So, since I wanted to get photos of the Loggerhead Key lighthouse, I took the seaplane down in 2005. Due to a mechanical fault in the plane, I had to come back on one of the ferries.

Ft. Jefferson is where Dr. Samuel Mudd was imprisoned after he made the mistake of setting the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth.

There are NO services down there - no fresh water, no food and no fuel. The National Park Service employees that are stationed there are housed inside the fort and have to order everything from the states. It comes in on a boat once a week. No running to the store for them.

• Pros:Beautiful and isolated
  • Cons:No services - no food, water or fuel sold
  • In a nutshell:National Monument
  • Last visit to Dry Tortugas National Park: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2011

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2004 at 8:56 AM

I would love to make the trip from Key West to the Dry Tortugas...unfortunately I am prone to seasickness, I think I'll have to skip breakfast!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2004 at 12:51 PM

Another place begging for a folding kayak! Great tips. The father of one of the boatmen on my Grand Canyon trip was a Ranger here. Maybe he was on vacation?:-\

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2003 at 8:10 AM

Nice job!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2003 at 11:01 AM

A park I missed on my Florida tour. Forts and tropical wildlife are always tops with me, though I could skip the beach without regret. . .

• kaloz's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2003 at 4:54 PM

Fort Jefferson, where Dr Mudd was sentenced. nice page.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2003 at 11:00 AM

great travelogue and lovely photos

• WFTR's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2003 at 7:37 PM

Awesome travelogue!!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Dry Tortugas National Park

Have you been to Dry Tortugas National Park?