"Ft. Jefferson on Garden Key" Top 5 Page for this destination Dry Tortugas National Park by grandmaR
Dry Tortugas National Park Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 289 photos
In January 2001, after three weeks in Key West, we decided to sail down to the Dry Tortugas. It took us two days to get there (we anchored for the night off the Marquesas) and we stayed for several days. We had a marvelous sail back.
We didn't get down to the Dry Tortugas after that, although we came down to the Keys twice more. So, since I wanted to get photos of the Loggerhead Key lighthouse, I took the seaplane down in 2005. Due to a mechanical fault in the plane, I had to come back on one of the ferries.
Ft. Jefferson is where Dr. Samuel Mudd was imprisoned after he made the mistake of setting the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth.
There are NO services down there - no fresh water, no food and no fuel. The National Park Service employees that are stationed there are housed inside the fort and have to order everything from the states. It comes in on a boat once a week. No running to the store for them.
- Pros:Beautiful and isolated
- Cons:No services - no food, water or fuel sold
- In a nutshell:National Monument
The national park service has informational signs about even the smallest plants, but most of their energy is... more travel advice
There is a good anchorage off the fort. It used to be that you could come into it from either end, but the access from... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Dry Tortugas National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Dry Tortugas Page"
- "Ft. Jefferson on Garden Key"
- "Dry Tortugas"
- "Dry Tortugas National Park"
- "National Park"
- "Dry Tortugas"
- "Fort Jefferson Dry Tortugas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Hotels in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Transportation in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Nightlife in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Restaurants in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Dry Tortugas National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dry Tortugas National Park
- 24 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Dry Tortugas National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dry Tortugas National Park
- Posted in Travel Orlando Forum "Re: Orlando vacation"
- Uploaded a Photo to "National Park Video"
- Wrote a Review Land Flora and Birds in Dry Tortugas National Park Things to Do
- updated a Dry Tortugas National Park Travel Page "Ft. Jefferson on Garden Key"
- Commented on one of Basaic's Dry Tortugas National Park travel pages
Photos in Dry Tortugas National ParkSee All Photos (142)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 732 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues