"Another 'Historic' Florida town" Cocoa by grandmaR
Cocoa Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 85 photos
This mural is on a building which is now a bank
One of the attractions of Cocoa is this park on the Indian River which is quite visible from the ICW. The playhouse is also an outstanding landmark along with the water tower with an enormous flag painted on it.
The first families arrive in this area around 1860. But when they established a post office in 1882 (at Magnolia Point two miles north) and they wanted to name the town "Indian River City", the name was unacceptable to the U.S. Postal authorities who claimed it was too long for use on a postmark.
"In 1925, the Cocoa Tribune published several accounts, supplied by readers, of the town's naming. A Mrs. Ruby Myers credited Captain R.C. May with the choosing of the name Cocoa at a town meeting in 1884. Those attending the meeting focused on a local product or characteristic feature of the area; e.g., citrus plants and Cedar Key. It was stated that at Captain May's suggestion, the group finally chose for its association with the Cocoa plant. The name was forwarded to Washington, D.C. where it was officially adopted.
"Another version suggests that while a group of citizens were seeking a name for the town, an old woman received inspiration from a box of Baker's Cocoa and her suggestion was adopted. Still another version suggests that along the bank of the Indian River lived an old woman who would supply hot cocoa to the sailors as they traversed the Indian River. As they passed, they would call out "cocoa, cocoa" until the woman supplied them with refreshment. Whatever its origin, by 1884 the name Cocoa had become permanently associated with what was then an infant settlement."
Additional history of Cocoa is on the Cocoa town website
When we pass by on the boat we see the parks along the river. # Shaded playground # Shaded benches # Rose garden #... more travel advice
We were here well before the Summer Fair, but I took a picture of the sign. Cocoa Village has four craft shows a year.... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Cocoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another 'Historic' Florida town"
- "cocoa florida"
- "Cocoa Florida A Wonderful Place"
- "welcome to bonio's Cocoa Page"
- "Beautiful Cocoa!"
- "Nobbe's new Cocoa page"
- "Cocao at the Beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cocoa
- Hotels in Cocoa
- Transportation in Cocoa
- Nightlife in Cocoa
- Restaurants in Cocoa
- Shopping in Cocoa
- Warnings and Dangers in Cocoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cocoa
- 33 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Cocoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cocoa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues