"Swiss Name - American Antiques" Winterthur by grandmaR
Winterthur Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 113 photos
In 1969, when my children were 7, 5, and a year old, we lived in Philadelphia for about eight months. One day we came over to Wilmington and visited Hagley Museum and Winterthur
Winterthur is the Henry Francis du Pont estate outside of Wilmington which has its own zip code. There is this original house with an extra nine story wing housing thousands of American antiques, and a research library also concentrating on American antiques.
And there are also extensive gardens and grounds. You can get a map from the internet, which will be helpful in finding your way around. There are also signs telling about the various specimen plants.
My sister agreed to babysit my children so I could come back on my own and take some of the specialty tours. I also had lunch at the cafeteria and walked around in the gardens.
- In a nutshell:The Mecca of American Antiques
I have gotten a Winterthur catalog for many years. Apparently there is not only a Museum Store, and a Book Store, but... more travel advice
I can't tell for sure, but I think this might be part of the Sundial Garden which used to be the croquet lawn and tennis... more travel advice
Written Jun 16, 2005
Vistas and Specimen Plants
Written Oct 7, 2005
grandmaR's Related Pages
Winterthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winterthur, An American Country Estate!"
- "Winterthur ~ Brandywine Valley Historical Treasure"
- "Swiss Name - American Antiques"
- "Winterthur, DE"
- "ginevra33's new Winterthur page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winterthur
- Transportation in Winterthur
- Restaurants in Winterthur
- Shopping in Winterthur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winterthur
- 7 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Winterthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winterthur
Photos in WinterthurSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues