"Submarines" Top 5 Page for this destination Groton by grandmaR
Groton Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 45 photos
I know Groton primarily because of the Sub Base there. In about 1957, my husband joined the Naval Reserve as a submariner. When he was at the Naval Academy he did his junior year cruise on a submarine, and I went to visit. I ate dinner with him on one of the submarines
Groton became known as the Submarine Capital of the World when the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics delivered 74 diesel submarines to the Navy in World War II. This was followed in 1954 with the launch of the USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear-powered submarine, now permanently berthed at Goss Cove near the Submarine Base.
Today Groton has more than just the submarine industry. When we went looking for the Avery Point Lighthouse (on the University of CT grounds) we passed a large pharmaceutical manufacturing facilty.
We drove onto the UConn campus to look at and photograph the lighthouses. It was nice to stand out on the point on a... more travel advice
There was a LOT of boating activity visible from Avery Point. Mostly sailing, but I took one picture of this... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Groton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stormie9999's new Groton page"
- "RnAKidd's new Groton Page"
- "Another Town we use during Roadtrips"
- "USN in Groton"
- "Basaic Groton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Groton
- Hotels in Groton
- Transportation in Groton
- Restaurants in Groton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Groton
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (512)
Have you been to Groton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Groton
Photos in GrotonSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues