"Johnny Come Lately Westcliffe" Westcliffe by grandmaR
Westcliffe Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 20 photos
Westcliffe is a mile from Silver Cliff. It did not exist until the railroad came to town and the terminal was built here. The two towns have more or less grown together - the borders between the two are no longer defined, and are not correct on Google maps.
Westcliffe is the county seat of Custer County which was formed in 1877 from Fremont Co. and today is bordered on the north by Fremont County, on the east by Pueblo County, on the south by Huerfano County and on the west by Saguache County. The western border is formed by the Sangre de Christo Mountains, and the eastern border by the San Isabel National Forest.
Population (year 2000): 417, Est. population in July 2002: 461 (+10.6% change)
Males: 201 (48.2%), Females: 216 (51.8%)
Elevation: 7888 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
Zip code: 81252
The nearest hospital is in Canyon City which is 27 miles away. That's where my grandfather died.
There is a public high school in Westcliffe
* CUSTER CO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 157; Location: P O BOX 730; Grades: 09 - 12) which was started when my dad was at the end of his sophomore year. He was one of the first graduates.
In 1948, we went up to Silver Cliff and Westcliffe. We camped out a lot but here we stayed in cabins which were across the street from the Texaco station. We had no bathrooms in the cabins - had to go across to the Texco station for that.
We hiked up into the mountains to Hermit Lake, and I caught a garter snake. On another day (above), we went to a ranch outside of town that was owned by some distant relatives of my dad, and watched them milk their goats and took a trail ride.
My dad's family who came from Germany and settled in the valley were Lutherans. Even though my grandparents lived in... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Westcliffe Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Westcliffe
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (192)
Have you been to Westcliffe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Westcliffe
Photos in WestcliffeSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues