"Silver Cliff - My Dad's Birthplace" Silver Cliff by grandmaR

Silver Cliff Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 19 photos

Wet Mountain Valley

My dad (in photo getting ready to take 16 mm movies with his Bolex movie camera in 1948) was born and brought up in Silver Cliff. The other person in the picture is my sister.

Historic Photos

Silver Cliff was a silver mining town which was at one time was in the running to be named the capitol of Colorado. At that time it was the third largest town in Colorado. However it was a ghost town when my dad lived there. From the early 1900's, his folks ran a general store in Silver Cliff. His mom emigrated from Bavaria with her family when she was about 14, and his dad (an orphan) came from St. Louis at the behest of his brother who lived in Colorado. They married in 1899.

When the railroad came to town, they put the terminus in Westcliffe, a mile west of Silver Cliff. That killed the growth of Silver Cliff.

Dad left town and bicycled down to Colorado Springs to attend Colorado College.

I visited Silver Cliff:

* in 1938 when I was a baby (right after Dad's father died),
* in 1942 as a young child,
* when I was 10 (1948) on a car trip through the west,
* in 1964 when we drove across country from Monterey to Key West, and
* in 1981 when my daughter graduated from the USAFA.

My dad's dad, his mom, and her parents are buried in the cemetery here.

• Pros:Small town
  • Cons:Lots of snow isolates the town in the winter
  • In a nutshell:Magnificent Mountains
  • Last visit to Silver Cliff: Jun 1981
  • Intro Updated Feb 10, 2012

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2005 at 6:09 AM

Thank you for your nice wishes. Nice to see your Silver Cliff page! I will check on a map where it is exactly. Looks almost like Grand Teton. Your Grandmother looks very pretty and the kind of girl that knows what she wants !

• Apr 24, 2005 at 4:32 PM

Hello Just to let you know I have shared your site with my mom. Her name is Dorothy Urban, with the Custer County Historical & Genealogical Society. I see that your father went to Colorado College, my daughter is there now. Alan Urban, Silver Cliff

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2003 at 8:46 PM

Sounds like my kind of town! I love the small towns, I love the big cities.

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Silver Cliff

Have you been to Silver Cliff?

Latest Activity in Silver Cliff