"Coastal Redwoods" Big Basin Redwoods State Park by grandmaR

In April 1966, my parents and my children and I went from Monterey to visit San Francisco and Yosemite. On the way to San Francisco, we stopped in Big Basin to see the Coastal Redwoods. We took the Redwood Loop which is a trail of about a half a mile. Above is the Chimney Tree. The tree's heartwood was consumed by fire, leaving a hollow but healthy tree in its wake. The outer layers of sapwood and bark are slowly fusing back together. My mom and dad were going to a scientific meeting and are wearing the type of clothes they considered appropriate for that kind of traveling in 1966. My dad almost always wore a business suit and a white shirt and tie. (When we visited Yosemite, he did wear a flannel shirt and left off the tie and coat.)

The "Animal" or "Zoo" tree has been a favorite of children and adults alike for over 100 years. The "animals" are in fact the amazing burl system. This tree is another one on the Redwood Loop Trail.

In 1966, there were deer to feed along the trail, and you could buy food in little paper bags. My daughter has one of the bags in the photo above. All these photos are slides that have been made digital.

• In a nutshell:Big, Big Tall Trees
  • Last visit to Big Basin Redwoods State Park: Apr 1966
  • Intro Updated Aug 23, 2007

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Big Basin Redwoods State Park

Have you been to Big Basin Redwoods State Park?

Latest Activity in Big Basin Redwoods State Park