"National River Park" Buffalo River National Park by grandmaR
Buffalo River National Park Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 84 photos
The National Park Service has gotten creative. Now we not only have National Parks, but also National Parkways (roads), National Seashores, National Historic Parks, and now National Rivers. The Buffalo River is one of the National Rivers.
During the era when the Corps of Engineers was building dams on every river, the Buffalo was protected from a dam-building project at first by being made a state park. The history of the protection effort is a story that is told in the film that is shown at the Visitor's Center at Tyler Bend. The Buffalo River was designated a National River in 1972.
The NPS website says :It begins as a trickle in the Boston Mountains 15 miles above the park boundary. Following what is likely an ancient riverbed, the Buffalo .. travel[s] eastward through the Ozarks and into the White River. The national river has three designated wilderness areas within its boundaries
We had not visited a National River before we visited the Buffalo River, but since this time, we have also visited the New River National River in West Virginia.
The gift shop, like most NPS shops has local materials - books, maps, prints, pins and patches - for sale. Many of these... more travel advice
In the Visitor's center there was information about the animals of the park. There are about, 200 species of birds here... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Buffalo River National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "National River Park"
- "Buffalo National River"
- "Wild and Wonderful"
- "Upper Buffalo Wilderness Area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buffalo River National Park
- Hotels in Buffalo River National Park
- Shopping in Buffalo River National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Buffalo River National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buffalo River National Park
- 6 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (527)
Have you been to Buffalo River National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buffalo River National Park
- Posted in Travel Hawaii, Island of Forum "Re: Hawaii, one week"
- updated a Buffalo River National Park Travel Page "National River Park"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Animals of the Park"
- Wrote a Review NPS Gifts in Buffalo River National Park Shopping
- Commented on one of John_P_LSU's Buffalo River National Park travel pages
Photos in Buffalo River National ParkSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues