"Where IS Waldo?" Waldo by grandmaR
Waldo Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
The main reason to go to Waldo is to see one of the oldest covered bridges in Alabama. The bridge was built in 1858 and spans 115 feet over the creek, resting on two stone piers.
Waldo itself is extremely small. About noon, we set off from Talladega to find the covered bridge in Waldo down at the end of the county. We passed county road 303 that we had taken on the first night (and it was on the map) I was looking at the map and totally missed when we went through Waldo, which was a church and a town hall and that was about it.
Waldo, AL, Pop 281, located in Talledega County
Median household income: $26,563 (year 2000)
Median house value: $57,200 (year 2000)
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Birmingham, AL (54.4 miles , pop. 242,820).
Waldo is not far from the Talledega Superspeedway
The community was named for the maiden name of the wife of the one of the Riddle brothers, founders. They operated a grist mill on Talladega Creek.
Waldo is home to the Waldo Covered Bridge which spans Talladega Creek. Used by Wilson’s Raiders during the Civil War, the bridge is near Riddle’s Hole, an 1840 gold mine that continued operating until World War II.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Waldo Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waldo
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (576)
Have you been to Waldo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waldo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 745 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 664 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 178 reviews, 406 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 50 reviews, 274 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 58 reviews, 263 photos, 7 travelogues