"Bellingrath Gardens" Theodore by grandmaR
Theodore Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 59 photos
Theodore is a suburb of Mobile Alabama. Prior to 1900 the area was known as Clements, but then it was named for William Theodore Hieronymous (a sawmill operator and postmaster).
The main attraction in the area is Bellingrath Gardens. I went to Bellingrath Gardens for the first time in 1960 with my parents when I was living in Pensacola. I visited them for the second time in January 2006 with my husband. Having just visited the Leu Gardens in Florida, I was disappointed in Bellingrath which was beautiful but sterile.
The gardens include a bridal garden, a conservatory, a great lawn, a nature walk, an Oriental garden, a rose garden, a chapel, the Mermaid Pool, Mirror Lake, an observation tower, and a river pavilion where river cruises are provided on the Southern Belle and the "Kingfisher". The site was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on September 14, 1977 and on the National Register of Historic Places on October 19, 1982
The Bellingrath home was completed in 1935, encompasses 10,500 square feet and features hand-made brick salvaged in Mobile from the 1852 birthplace of Alva Smith Vanderbilt Belmont. Ironwork was obtained from the demolished Southern Hotel (1837), also in Mobile. Since photos were not allowed inside the house, we did not visit it.
When we got to the gardens, we had to decide if we wanted to see just the gardens or the house and gardens. The boat... more travel advice
Written May 29, 2006
Visit to the Gardens
Written Apr 6, 2011
Entangled in Mobile Mardi Gras
grandmaR's Related Pages
Theodore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bellingrath Gardens"
- "theodore alabama"
- "Visit Bellingrath Gardens in Theordore, Alabama"
- "Basaic Theodore Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Theodore
- 7 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Theodore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Theodore
Photos in TheodoreSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues